You are here
Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Duke Regeneration Center
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 290L: Intermediate Topics with Lab (GE)
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
In the News
- Organ-on-a-chip: Better Health Care Through Superior Drug Testing (Nov 24, 2021 | Duke Science & Technology)
- Soft Robotic Dragonfly Signals Environmental Disruptions (Mar 25, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- A Crystal Ball for the Decade Ahead (Jan 9, 2020)
- Engineering a Better Bandage to Promote Faster Healing (Dec 13, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Big Ideas on a Small Chip Surface (Nov 1, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Researchers ID Pharmaceutical Target That Reverses Osteoporosis in Mice (Aug 22, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hoque, J; Zeng, Y; Newman, H; Gonzales, G; Lee, C; Varghese, S, Microgel-Assisted Delivery of Adenosine to Accelerate Fracture Healing., Acs Biomaterials Science & Engineering, vol 8 no. 11 (2022), pp. 4863-4872 [10.1021/acsbiomaterials.2c00977] [abs].
- Aung, A; Davey, SK; Theprungsirikul, J; Kumar, V; Varghese, S, Deciphering the Mechanics of Cancer Spheroid Growth in 3D Environments through Microfluidics Driven Mechanical Actuation., Adv Healthc Mater (2022) [10.1002/adhm.202201842] [abs].
- Chansoria, P; Blackwell, J; Etter, EL; Bonacquisti, EE; Jasiewicz, N; Neal, T; Kamal, SA; Hoque, J; Varghese, S; Egan, T; Nguyen, J, Rationally Designed Anisotropic and Auxetic Hydrogel Patches for Adaptation to Dynamic Organs, Advanced Functional Materials, vol 32 no. 43 (2022) [10.1002/adfm.202207590] [abs].
- Newman, H; Hoque, J; Shih, Y-RV; Marushack, G; Ko, U; Gonzales, G; Varghese, S, pH-Sensitive nanocarrier assisted delivery of adenosine to treat osteoporotic bone loss., Biomater Sci, vol 10 no. 18 (2022), pp. 5340-5355 [10.1039/d2bm00843b] [abs].
- Bartholf DeWitt, S; Hoskinson Plumlee, S; Brighton, HE; Sivaraj, D; Martz, EJ; Zand, M; Kumar, V; Sheth, MU; Floyd, W; Spruance, JV; Hawkey, N; Varghese, S; Ruan, J; Kirsch, DG; Somarelli, JA; Alman, B; Eward, WC, Loss of ATRX promotes aggressive features of osteosarcoma with increased NF-κB signaling and integrin binding., Jci Insight, vol 7 no. 17 (2022) [10.1172/jci.insight.151583] [abs].