You are here
Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Kumar, V; Varghese, S, Ex Vivo Tumor-on-a-Chip Platforms to Study Intercellular Interactions within the Tumor Microenvironment., Advanced Healthcare Materials (2018) [10.1002/adhm.201801198] [abs].
- Hoque, J; Sangaj, N; Varghese, S, Stimuli-Responsive Supramolecular Hydrogels and Their Applications in Regenerative Medicine., Macromolecular Bioscience (2018) [10.1002/mabi.201800259] [abs].
- Ryu, JH; Lee, GJ; Shih, Y-RV; Kim, T-I; Varghese, S, Phenylboronic acid-polymers for biomedical applications., Current Medicinal Chemistry (2018) [10.2174/0929867325666181008144436] [abs].
- Seale, N; Ramaswamy, S; Shih, Y-R; Verma, I; Varghese, S, Macroporous Dual-compartment Hydrogels for Minimally Invasive Transplantation of Primary Human Hepatocytes., Transplantation, vol 102 no. 9 (2018), pp. e373-e381 [10.1097/tp.0000000000002330] [abs].
- Liu, M; Nakasaki, M; Shih, Y-RV; Varghese, S, Effect of age on biomaterial-mediated in situ bone tissue regeneration., Acta Biomaterialia, vol 78 (2018), pp. 329-340 [10.1016/j.actbio.2018.06.035] [abs].