You are here
Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- González Díaz, EC; Shih, Y-RV; Nakasaki, M; Liu, M; Varghese, S, Mineralized Biomaterials Mediated Repair of Bone Defects Through Endogenous Cells., Tissue Engineering, Part A (2018) [10.1089/ten.tea.2017.0297] [abs].
- Hwang, Y; Seo, T; Hariri, S; Choi, C; Varghese, S, Matrix Topographical Cue-Mediated Myogenic Differentiation of Human Embryonic Stem Cell Derivatives, Polymers, vol 9 no. 11 (2017), pp. 580-580 [10.3390/polym9110580] [abs].
- Agrawal, G; Aung, A; Varghese, S, Skeletal muscle-on-a-chip: an in vitro model to evaluate tissue formation and injury., Lab on a Chip, vol 17 no. 20 (2017), pp. 3447-3461 [10.1039/c7lc00512a] [abs].
- Shih, Y-R; Kang, H; Rao, V; Chiu, Y-J; Kwon, SK; Varghese, S, In vivo engineering of bone tissues with hematopoietic functions and mixed chimerism, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of USA, vol 114 no. 21 (2017), pp. 5419-5424 [10.1073/pnas.1702576114] [abs].
- Kang, H; Shih, Y-RV; Nakasaki, M; Kabra, H; Varghese, S, Small molecule-driven direct conversion of human pluripotent stem cells into functional osteoblasts., Science Advances, vol 2 no. 8 (2016) [10.1126/sciadv.1600691] [abs].