You are here
Professor of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science and Orthopaedics
Shyni Varghese has a triple appointment in the Duke departments of Biomedical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science, and Orthopaedic Surgery. She is the first MEDx Investigator.
A leader in the field of biomaterials and stem cells, Varghese will develop her research at Duke in three major areas:
- Musculoskeletal tissue repair
- Disease biophysics, and
- Organ-on-a-chip technology
A new initiative of the Pratt School of Engineering and Duke School of Medicine, Duke MEDx seeks to enhance and form new collaborations between doctors and engineers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. National Chemical Laboratory (India), 2002
Musculoskeletal tissue repair, disease biophysics and organ-on-a-chip technology
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Shyni Varghese: Making Miniature Models of Muscles, Bones and Tumors (Nov 18, 2016 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Shih, YV; Varghese, S, Tissue engineered bone mimetics to study bone disorders ex vivo : Role of bioinspired materials, Biomaterials (2018) [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2018.06.005] [abs].
- Seale, N; Ramaswamy, S; Shih, Y-R; Verma, I; Varghese, S, Macroporous dual compartment hydrogels for minimally invasive transplantation of primary human hepatocytes, Transplantation (2018), pp. 1-1 [10.1097/TP.0000000000002330] [abs].
- Moreno, AM; Fu, X; Zhu, J; Katrekar, D; Shih, Y-RV; Marlett, J; Cabotaje, J; Tat, J; Naughton, J; Lisowski, L; Varghese, S; Zhang, K; Mali, P, In Situ Gene Therapy via AAV-CRISPR-Cas9-Mediated Targeted Gene Regulation., Molecular Therapy (2018) [10.1016/j.ymthe.2018.04.017] [abs].
- González Díaz, EC; Shih, Y-RV; Nakasaki, M; Liu, M; Varghese, S, Mineralized Biomaterials Mediated Repair of Bone Defects Through Endogenous Cells., Tissue Engineering, Part A (2018) [10.1089/ten.tea.2017.0297] [abs].
- Varghese, S, Role of Matrix Proteins in Balancing Tissue Stiffness and Inflammation in Fibrosis, Biophysical Journal, vol 114 no. 3 (2018), pp. 23A-23A [abs].