You are here
Engineering Alumni Council (EAC)
The Engineering Alumni Council (EAC) is responsible for executing the mission of the Engineering Alumni Association by:
- Advancing the cause of Engineering Education
- Promoting the interests of and loyalty for the Pratt School of Engineering
- Promoting a spirit of cordiality, good fellowship, and communication among the members
Read Our Newsletter
Download our most recent newsletter for Duke Engineering alumni » [PDF]
Join the Council
To join or to recommend someone, please complete the nomination form »
What Council Members Do
A member of the Pratt Alumni Council is an active observer to the Pratt Board of Visitors, ensuring that an alumni perspective is heard in deliberations concerning Duke Engineerings's future.
Alumni Council representation on the Duke Alumni Association insures vital Duke Engineer representation in overall university alumni affairs.
Alumni Council funding of student club projects – such as the concrete canoe, racing vehicle and electric vehicle intercollegiate teams – provides critically important hands-on design opportunities for Duke Engineering undergraduates.
The council's support of DukEngineer Magazine has been instrumental in maintaining this long-running publication for alumni and friends.
Your Alumni Council has the distinct privilege of reviewing your nominations for the important Distinguished Alumnus/a Award, Distinguished Young Alumnus/a Award and Distinguished Service Award recognition presented at our annual spring banquet.
- Attendance and active participation in all three (3) annual EAC meetings: Meetings are typically scheduled for Fridays and Saturdays – once in the Fall, Winter, and Spring, respectively – and often coincide with football games, basketball games, or other university events. Brief conference calls and similar committee follow-up tasks commonly occur between meetings in Durham, but do not require extensive additional commitments of time. Although professional, personal, or family commitments may periodically conflict, members are expected to make a concerted effort toward attending meetings.
- Giving: The board fully recognizes that not all alumni have the financial capacity to donate substantial sums. Instead, what is viewed as important by the EAC is the consistency by which members contribute. Each member is committed to Annual Fund giving and timely payment of EAA dues. Council leadership is expected to make a leadership level contribution. In order to ensure diversity of council leadership, an executive committee member can accumulate their gift over the length of their term(s) on the council.
- Support the EAC and other Pratt and Duke programs including local and regional events, student projects, and annual awards banquet.
- Serve as formal and informal representatives of the School.
- Provide professional expertise and individual talent.
- Provide guidance to the Pratt School of Engineering.
Student Projects Committee
This committee is responsible for selectively determining and providing funding for student projects and activities at the Pratt School of Engineering.
2017-2018 Council Members
- William G. Gardner E’09, G’11, Fredericksburg, Va.
- William B. Senner E’06, X’06, Durham, NC
Immediate Past President
- Michael A. Wesley E’97, X’98, Chapel Hill, NC
- Anthony R. Baldassari X’06 • Raleigh, NC
- Ana E. Diaz E’77 • Chadds Ford, Pa.
- Holly M. Espy E’93 • Chevy Chase, Md.
- Jessica L. Foley E’01, Washington, DC
- Grant T. Hollett IV E’93, B’02 • Chesterfield, Va.
- Ronald Barton Houck II E’86 • Apex, NC
- Anna E. Knight E’15, G’22 • Durham, NC
- Emily T. Lim E’15, G’16, Kirkland, Wash.
- Andrew J. Longenecker E’07 • Jupiter, Fla.
- William Randal Mendez E’82, B’90 • Wilmington, Del.
- Tracy A. Nickelsburg E’88 • Alexandria, Va.
- Mark W. Pratt E’11, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
- Howard Clifton Ray III E’13 • Charlottesville, Va.
- Costandi J. Shami E’13, G’14, Ann Arbor, Mich.
- Allan B. Shang E’83 • Wake Forest, NC
- W. Neal Simmons G’01 • Bahama, NC
- Ershela L. Sims E’93 • Durham, NC
- Judd W. Staples E’92, B’02 • Durham, NC
- Robert D. Wescott E’90 • Durham, NC