You are here

Transfer Credit: Entering First-Year Students

Credit Earned Prior to Matriculation

Freshmen and transfer students who earn credit at other colleges before enrolling at Duke may present transcripts to the Engineering Dean's Office for evaluation (in consultation with the Directors of Undergraduate Study for the appropriate course) for credit or placement.

You can receive Duke credit only if the courses:

  • were taken on the college campus
  • were taken in competition with degree candidates of that college
  • were taught by a regular member of the college faculty
  • were part of the regular curriculum of the college
  • were taken after commencement of the student's junior year of high school
  • were not taken on a study abroad program completed prior to matriculation at Duke
  • yielded a grade of B- or better
  • were not pre-calculus or English composition courses
  • were not used to meet high school diploma requirements

All 9 of these criteria must be met.  In order to verify these criteria, you must take the following steps:
1)  arrange to have an official transcript of the college course sent directly to the Pratt School of Engineering (see below for address);
2)  provide the Pratt School of Engineering with a course description or syllabus for each course taken;
3)  send a confirmation form to the college of record, which will confirm that the first four bulleted criteria above have been met;
4)  send a confirmation form to your high school, which will confirm that the last two bulleted criteria have been met.

All paperwork should be sent to Dean Carmen Rawls at: Pratt School of Engineering, 305 Teer Engineering Library, Box 90271, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0271.  Upon receipt of this information, Dean Rawls will confirm the remaining bulleted criteria above, consult with the relevant directors of undergraduate studies and then if appropriate, will award pre-matriculation credit comparable to the credit awarded for a score of 4 or 5 on an AP Exam.


Last updated: June 14, 2018