You are here

Part-time Degree Status


Graduating seniors who need 1cc-2.5 cc at Duke to graduate may request permission to study on a part-time basis in their last semester of enrollment.  To do so, present your request to your academic dean as soon as you know that you want to be enrolled part-time but no later than the last day of classes (LDOC) in the term that immediately precedes your final term of your enrollment at Duke.


As a part-time student, you may enroll in no less than one (1.0), and no more than two-and-a-half (2.5) course credits.  Also, concurrent enrollment at another university is not permitted. If you are taking 2.5 units or less at Duke, you will not be able to use additional units taken at another institution toward your degree completion.

Note:  as a part-time student you may be denied University housing.  Discuss your eligibility for housing with Residence Life.  To discuss your eligibility for part-time status, confer with your academic dean.

If you are considering Part-Time, and you are: 

  • on financial aid
  • a varsity athlete
  • on an F-1 Visa

then please read the notes below carefully.

Financial aid

Part-time students are eligible for federal and/or institutional aid. Book allowance will be reduced by half, while housing, meals, and other budget items will remain the same as for full-time status. Students taking fewer than 2 credits are ineligible for financial aid, either federal or institutional, with exceptions for some Pell-eligible students who may receive a small Pell grant only. The part-time semester will count as one of a student’s 8 semesters of total aid eligibility. Any financial aid implications should be discussed with our Financial Aid Advisor found on Duke Hub.

Varsity athletes

Student-athletes interested in pursuing part-time status must receive permission from Heather Ryan ( or Todd Mesibov ( to ensure they continue to meet NCAA requirements for athletic participation.

International students on F-1 visas

F-1 regulations require that international students be enrolled full-time each semester except the final semester before graduation.  Due to changing policies, you should contact your Duke Visa Services Advisor for further input and advice. 


To apply for part-time status in your last semester at Duke, contact your academic dean and submit the form no later than the last day of classes in the term that immediately precedes your final term of enrollment at Duke.


Last updated: April  19, 2021