You are here

Complaints About a Course

It is the obligation of your instructors to evaluate your course work and to submit a grade for you at the end of the academic semester. You, in turn, have a right to know at the beginning of the semester the basis on which you will be evaluated in a course and to expect to be graded fairly, i.e., in the same way that all other students in a course are graded.

If you have concerns or complaints about a course in which you are enrolled, you should try to resolve the matter with the instructor. If your concern is not resolved to your satisfaction in this way, you can bring it to the attention of the Director of Undergraduate Studies and if necessary to the Department Chair, in accordance with the Undergraduate Grade Review Procedure. You may also find it helpful to speak with Academic Deans about your rights and responsibilities.

Note: A fuller statement called "Procedures for Resolution of Student's Academic Concerns" is found in the Duke Community Standard in Practice: A Guide for Undergraduates.

Last updated: August 24, 2007