You are here
Research and Independent Study
There are several programs within Pratt that give undergrads research opportunities while earning credit. Each program offers distinct opportunities.
- Pratt Research Fellows - Three semesters of independent undergraduate engineering study, plus summer research
- Katsouleas NEA Grand Challenge Scholars Program - Flexible engineering curriculum focused on a selected grand challenge – research, courses outside of engineering, entrepreneurship opportunities, and both global- and service-learning
- Duke Smart Home Fellows - One or more semesters focused on smart technology or sustainable living
- Bass Connections - Interdisciplinary university research teams – teams last for two semesters; some have a summer session
Undergraduate students can conduct intensive, hands-on research for academic credit by taking independent study courses.
Independent study can qualify you for Graduation with Departmental Distinction. And, with some planning, these courses can be a part of several of our signature research programs described below. (See department courses: BME, CEE, ECE, MEMS).
Independent Study + You Pick the Faculty
If you even want more flexibility for your independent study, explore the research interests of Duke Engineering's faculty. With the right match of interests, you can work with faculty from any department – not just faculty from your department or major.
Faculty Profiles and Research Links
- Biomedical Engineering (BME)
- Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE)
- Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE)
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science (MEMS)
Click the button below to inquire about independent study opportunities: