Celebrating Faculty and Students Awards for Summer 2023
Duke Engineering faculty and students garnered a wide array of awards and recognitions over the summer
- Adrian Bejan (MEMS) won a silver medal in the 2023 Nautilus Book Awards in Science and Cosmology for his book “Time and Beauty.”
- Pranam Chatterjee (BME) won a 2022 Hartwell Biomedical Research Award.
- Yiran Chen (ECE) won a 2024 IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics In Computational Intelligence Outstanding Paper Award, for his work titled “End-to-End Detection-Segmentation System for Face Labeling.”
- Yiran Chen (ECE) won the 2023 Outstanding Technical Research Achievement Award from the IEEE Eastern North Carolina Section.
- Jeff Glass (ECE) was appointed to the Engineering Research Visioning Alliance (ERVA) Standing Council.
- Joe Izatt (BME) was selected for a fellowship to build skills in equity-centered academic leadership as an Ivy+ Provost Leadership Fellow.
- Gaby Katul (CEE) was elected a Fellow of the American Meteorological Society, the main societal organization that deals with weather and climate.
- Samira Musah (BME) received a New Innovator Award from the National Institutes of Health’s High-Risk, High-Reward Research Program.
- Amanda Randles (BME) won the Association for Computing Machinery SIGHPC Emerging Woman Leader In Technical Computing.
- Tuan Vo-Dinh (BME) and his startup Minutia, which is pursuing a functional cure for Type 1 diabetes, won the first American Diabetes Association Innovation Challenge.
Graduate Student Awards
- Ang Li (PhD, ECE) won the 2023 IEEE Technical Committee of Cyber Physical Systems Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Award and is now an assistant professor at the University of Maryland.
- Aritra Ray (PhD, ECE) won first place in the ICDH Student Research Competition at the IEEE International Conference on Digital Health 2023.
- Shomik Verma (PhD, MEMS) won a 2023 Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship, which recognizes outstanding immigrants and children of immigrants in the United States.
- Zhiyao Xie (PhD, ECE) received an outstanding PhD Dissertation Award from ACM SIGDA.
- Eric Yeats (PhD, ECE) won a DOE SCGSR Fellowship.
- Matt Brune, a recent CEE graduate, won second prize in the FAA Data Challenge competition.
- Sydney Hunt, a graduating senior in ECE/CS, and 2020 BME graduate Maya Sheth were awarded the Knight-Hennessy Scholarship for graduate study at Stanford University.
- Arthur Tsang, a recent graduate in CEE, won the Thornton Tomasetti Foundation National 2023-2024 Scholarship to pursue graduate studies in structural engineering at the University of California – Berkeley.