You are here
Our goal: Develop your entrepreneurial confidence
Duke Engineering students cultivate a lifelong entrepreneurial mindset.
From makerspaces, to new courses teaching entrepreneurial skills, to programs that fund student startups—entrepreneurship is a pillar of the Duke Engineering signature undergraduate experience.
Duke Engineering Entrepreneurship
We provide engineering undergraduates with:
- Advice: Including one-on-one expert guidance (to access, click 'contacts' below)
- Education: Courses, workshops, and scholarships, including the A. James Clark Scholars
- Resources: Access info and funding, including the $20K Baquerizo Innovation Grant
- Connections: Introduction to the Duke community, including through Duke I&E
Click to view
Through the generous investment of the A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation, the Clark Scholarships at Duke support 10 undergraduate students each year.
This four-year scholarship program builds upon Duke’s outstanding engineering curriculum by adding unique training and experiences in leadership, service, and business and entrepreneurship. Open to incoming Duke Engineering undergraduates.
$20,000 awarded to student teams each year
BIG seeks proposals from student inventors that could have high positive and transformative impacts on people’s lives.
Recent Grant Recipients Include
- Protect3d—Produces safety devices, using 3D printing and energy absorption tech, for high-contact sports
- Remedy—Developing a device to prevent adverse outcomes associated with sleep deprivation
Student Founders Program
Provides weekly coaching and small grants for prototyping
If you're interested in creating a product or service, testing a pilot, and someday launching a venture—but perhaps you're not ready to apply for a BIG grant—consider the new Student Founders Program.
The program provides:
- Scheduled weekly coaching sessions
- Resources (including small prototyping grants)
- And more!
Conducted in partnership with the Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative (Duke I&E)
The Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative (Duke I&E) creates a robust culture across the entire university in which students are inspired and prepared for innovative leadership and support and celebrate the translation of knowledge into the service of society.
- Visit the Duke I&E website »
- Info about the Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship »
- Contact an I&E Fellow »
A Founder's Story: Sam Fox
Duke Engineering undergraduate Sam Fox his own company with the goal of creating a device that could safely and comfortably move a hospital patient.