You are here
Our goal: Develop your entrepreneurial confidence
Duke Engineering students cultivate a lifelong entrepreneurial mindset.
From makerspaces, to new courses teaching entrepreneurial skills, to programs that fund student startups—entrepreneurship is a pillar of the Duke Engineering signature undergraduate experience.
Duke Engineering Entrepreneurship (EngEn)
EngEn provides engineering undergraduates with:
- Advice: Including one-on-one expert guidance (to access, click 'contacts' below)
- Education: Courses, workshops, and scholarships, including the A. James Clark Scholars
- Resources: Access info and funding, including the $20K Baquerizo Innovation Grant
- Connections: Introduction to the Duke innovation community, including through Duke I&E
Click to view
Through the generous investment of the A. James and Alice B. Clark Foundation, the Clark Scholarships at Duke support 10 undergraduate students each year.
This four-year scholarship program builds upon Duke’s outstanding engineering curriculum by adding unique training and experiences in leadership, service, and business and entrepreneurship. Open to incoming Duke Engineering undergraduates.
$20,000 awarded to student teams each year
BIG seeks proposals from student inventors that could have high positive and transformative impacts on people’s lives.
Recent Grant Recipients Include
- Protect3d—Produces safety devices, using 3D printing and energy absorption tech, for high-contact sports
- Remedy—Developing a device to prevent adverse outcomes associated with sleep deprivation
Student Founders Program
A Duke-wide activity group for those interested in launching their own ventures
The program, a partnership of the Duke Entrepreneurship & Innovation Initiative (I&E) and Engineering Entrepreneurship (EngEn), brings all student innovators, entrepreneurs, and founders at Duke together.
The program provides:
Participants attend weekly practice sessions where they learn and address specific issues they’re experiencing with their ventures.
More than 50 students attended the program's 2020 kick-off »
The Duke Innovation & Entrepreneurship Initiative (Duke I&E) creates a robust culture across the entire university in which students are inspired and prepared for innovative leadership and support and celebrate the translation of knowledge into the service of society.
A Founder's Story: Sam Fox
Duke Engineering undergraduate Sam Fox his own company with the goal of creating a device that could safely and comfortably move a hospital patient.