You are here
Duke Engineering Walking Tours
Explore our campus, classroom and laboratories with a student guide
Our tours are:
- About an hour long
- Limited to 20 people per tour, and four per sign-up group
- Scheduled so you may also take the Duke University Admissions tour
- Given rain or shine
Please make your reservation two (2) or more business days before your preferred tour date:
Before the Tour
Know Our Holiday and Break Dates
Because we rely on the expertise of student guides, Pratt Walking Tours will not take place:
- April 22-May 17—Spring break, semester end, and commencement
- May 27—Memorial Day
- June 24-July 5—Summer Session I end and Independence Day
- Aug 8-30—Summer Session II end and preparation for Fall Term
Tell Us Your Accessibility Needs
Duke University and the Pratt School of Engineering welcome and encourage individuals with disabilities to participate in our programs and activities.
If you need any type of reasonable accommodation or have questions about access, please contact us in advance of your visit—call our Undergraduate Education Office at 919-660-5996.
To inquire about visitor accessibility and accommodation at Duke, please visit access.duke.edu, or call 919-684-1424.
Schedule a Group Tour
Have a group with five or more? Discuss group tour options with our staff: 919-660-5996.
On Tour Day
Tours begin in the lobby of the Nello L. Teer building. It's a short walk (0.2 miles) from the Bryan Center Parking Garage to Teer [map]:
- Exit to Science Drive and turn right
- Follow the sidewalk past the circle and continue downhill
- The Teer Building is on your left
- Enter through the main doors and meet your tour in the lobby
Pratt Walking Tours begin in the lobby of the Nello L. Teer Building. In the lobby, look for our blue-and-orange Pratt Walking Tour signs.
While you wait for the tour to start, be sure to pick up free brochures and explore our interactive touch-screen displays.
More to Do at Duke
In addition to the Pratt Walking Tour, you are invited to:
- Browse today's calendar of events at the Pratt School of Engineering — many are free and open to the public
- Attend an event on Duke's event calendar
- Dine in one of Duke's more than 50 restaurants and cafés
If Plans Change
What If It Rains?
We give tours when it rains.
The Duke campus sees an average of 220 days of sunshine a year! So there's a great chance you'll see our campus at its sunny best. If you happen to visit on a rainy day, we're still happy to give you a great tour of Duke Engineering. All you'll need, typically, is an umbrella.
In Case of Severe Weather
When severe weather threatens, check the DukeAlert website. The Pratt Walking Tour is canceled when Duke classes are canceled.
Have a weather-related question? Please reach out to our Undergraduate Education Office, 919-660-5996.
If You Must Cancel
If you have registered but cannot attend, please let us know—this will allow us to open a spot to another interested prospective student.
To cancel, simply send your name, tour date and time to email@example.com, or call 919-660-5996.
Questions about Pratt tours? Please reach out to our Undergraduate Education Office, 919-660-5996.