The PhD Plus Certificate
Progress is tracked on Duke Deep Blue via the Suitable app
PhD Plus operates on a three-year cycle. Each year focused on a different career path—Academia, Industry & Government, or Entrepreneurship, Business, Law & Consulting.
Students can begin working toward the optional PhD Plus Certificate in any year by using Deep Blue to learn about PhD Plus events and to interactively track progress toward completing certificate requirements.
A student who has earned the PhD Plus Certificate has been an active participant in a significant number of professional development activities and events. Participation in PhD Plus activities does not require active pursuit of the certificate—all engineering PhD students are invited to participate in PhD Plus activities at any time!
- Complete all three Career-Themed Courses
- One is offered each fall, connected to that year's career-path theme
- Earn all three PhD Plus Career-Themed Badges in Deep Blue
- For each badge, during its career-themed academic year:
- Attend two PhD Plus workshops
- Complete two PhD Plus skills-based learning sessions
- Participate in one PhD Plus career conversation
- Earn 300-plus points in Deep Blue
How to Access Deep Blue
Use the Suitable app
Students use Duke Deep Blue to track their progress, stay connected, and learn about upcoming PhD Plus activities.