You are here
PhD Career Services
We offer a wide range of outstanding career support services to all our PhD students.
Our goal is help you realize your professional goals as you transition from Duke into the workplace.
Duke Engineering's innovative PhD Plus Professional Development Program assists engineering doctoral students by helping them prepare for success in their careers.
PhD Plus offers an array of events throughout the year—including summer workshops, practical seminars and networking opportunities. Workshop topics have included:
- Practicing skills for interviews and networking
- Developing your personal brand
- Delivering an effective job talk
- An engineering PhD's career path in venture capital
More details on the PhD Plus website »
Each semester, the Pratt School of Engineering provides scientific and technical writing workshops, led by an academic writing expert and educator, and designed to assist our PhD students in building this important career skill set.
Career Center Services
Duke’s Career Center provides programs designed especially for doctoral (PhD) students:
- Career Advising: One-on-one and group appointments
- Graduate Student Career Fairs: Held throughout the academic year
- Career Preparation Series: CV and resume development, cover letter writing, obtaining an internship, sharpening interview skills
- Academic Job Search Strategies: For those seeking research, professorial, and university administration opportunities
- Job Search Strategies for Careers Beyond Academia: For those seeking opportunities in industry, the private sector and government
- Transferrable Skills Training: Coaching to identify your full set of marketable skills
- Networking Skill Development: Including utilizing social media, such as LinkedIn
- For International Students: Interview skills training
More details on the Duke Career Center website »