You are here
Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Yiran Chen received B.S and M.S. from Tsinghua University and Ph.D. from Purdue University in 2005. After five years in industry, he joined University of Pittsburgh in 2010 as Assistant Professor and then promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, held Bicentennial Alumni Faculty Fellow. He now is a tenured Associate Professor of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University and serving as the director of NSF Industry–University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) for Alternative Sustainable and Intelligent Computing (ASIC) and co-director of Duke Center for Evolutionary Intelligence (CEI), focusing on the research of new memory and storage systems, machine learning and neuromorphic computing, and mobile computing systems. Dr. Chen has published one book and more than 350 technical publications and has been granted 93 US patents. He serves or served the associate editor of several IEEE and ACM transactions/journals and served on the technical and organization committees of more than 50 international conferences. He received 6 best paper awards and 12 best paper nominations from international conferences. He is the recipient of NSF CAREER award and ACM SIGDA outstanding new faculty award. He is the Fellow of IEEE and Distinguished Member of ACM, a distinguished lecturer of IEEE CEDA, and the recipient of the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: 429 Belle Gate Pl, Cary, NC 27519
- Office Phone: (612) 703-9849
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2005
Nonvolatile memory and storage systems, neuromorphic computing, and mobile applications.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IEEE Fellow. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Chai, X; Wu, H; Gan, Z; Han, D; Zhang, Y; Chen, Y, An efficient approach for encrypting double color images into a visually meaningful cipher image using 2D compressive sensing, Information Sciences, vol 556 (2021), pp. 305-340 [10.1016/j.ins.2020.10.007] [abs].
- Rao, J; Fan, Z; Hong, L; Cheng, S; Huang, Q; Zhao, J; Xiang, X; Guo, EJ; Guo, H; Hou, Z; Chen, Y; Lu, X; Zhou, G; Gao, X; Liu, JM, An electroforming-free, analog interface-type memristor based on a SrFeOx epitaxial heterojunction for neuromorphic computing, Materials Today Physics, vol 18 (2021) [10.1016/j.mtphys.2021.100392] [abs].
- Wang, C; Feng, D; Tong, W; Hua, Y; Liu, J; Wu, B; Zhao, W; Song, L; Zhang, Y; Xu, J; Wei, X; Chen, Y, Improving Multilevel Writes on Vertical 3-D Cross-Point Resistive Memory, Ieee Transactions on Computer Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol 40 no. 4 (2021), pp. 762-775 [10.1109/TCAD.2020.3006188] [abs].
- Wang, C; Feng, D; Tong, W; Liu, J; Wu, B; Zhao, W; Zhang, Y; Chen, Y, Improving Write Performance on Cross-Point RRAM Arrays by Leveraging Multidimensional Non-Uniformity of Cell Effective Voltage, Ieee Transactions on Computers, vol 70 no. 4 (2021), pp. 566-580 [10.1109/TC.2020.2990884] [abs].
- Wen, S; Wei, H; Yang, Y; Guo, Z; Zeng, Z; Huang, T; Chen, Y, Memristive LSTM Network for Sentiment Analysis, Ieee Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems, vol 51 no. 3 (2021), pp. 1794-1804 [10.1109/TSMC.2019.2906098] [abs].