You are here
Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Yiran Chen received B.S and M.S. from Tsinghua University and Ph.D. from Purdue University in 2005. After five years in industry, he joined University of Pittsburgh in 2010 as Assistant Professor and then promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, held Bicentennial Alumni Faculty Fellow. He now is a tenured Associate Professor of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University and serving as the director of NSF Industry–University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) for Alternative Sustainable and Intelligent Computing (ASIC) and co-director of Duke Center for Evolutionary Intelligence (CEI), focusing on the research of new memory and storage systems, machine learning and neuromorphic computing, and mobile computing systems. Dr. Chen has published one book and more than 350 technical publications and has been granted 93 US patents. He serves or served the associate editor of several IEEE and ACM transactions/journals and served on the technical and organization committees of more than 50 international conferences. He received 6 best paper awards and 12 best paper nominations from international conferences. He is the recipient of NSF CAREER award and ACM SIGDA outstanding new faculty award. He is the Fellow of IEEE and Distinguished Member of ACM, a distinguished lecturer of IEEE CEDA, and the recipient of the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: 429 Belle Gate Pl, Cary, NC 27519
- Office Phone: (612) 703-9849
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2005
Nonvolatile memory and storage systems, neuromorphic computing, and mobile applications.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IEEE Fellow. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- ECE 392: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 550D: Fundamentals of Computer Systems and Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Chai, X; Bi, J; Gan, Z; Liu, X; Zhang, Y; Chen, Y, Color image compression and encryption scheme based on compressive sensing and double random encryption strategy, Signal Processing, vol 176 (2020) [10.1016/j.sigpro.2020.107684] [abs].
- Guo, Q; Ye, J; Chen, Y; Hu, Y; Lan, Y; Zhang, G; Li, X, INOR—An Intelligent noise reduction method to defend against adversarial audio examples, Neurocomputing, vol 401 (2020), pp. 160-172 [10.1016/j.neucom.2020.02.110] [abs].
- Yan, Z; Chen, J; Hu, R; Huang, T; Chen, Y; Wen, S, Training memristor-based multilayer neuromorphic networks with SGD, momentum and adaptive learning rates., Neural Networks : the Official Journal of the International Neural Network Society, vol 128 (2020), pp. 142-149 [10.1016/j.neunet.2020.04.025] [abs].
- Chai, X; Wu, H; Gan, Z; Zhang, Y; Chen, Y, Hiding cipher-images generated by 2-D compressive sensing with a multi-embedding strategy, Signal Processing, vol 171 (2020) [10.1016/j.sigpro.2020.107525] [abs].
- Chai, X; Fu, X; Gan, Z; Zhang, Y; Lu, Y; Chen, Y, An efficient chaos-based image compression and encryption scheme using block compressive sensing and elementary cellular automata, Neural Computing and Applications, vol 32 no. 9 (2020), pp. 4961-4988 [10.1007/s00521-018-3913-3] [abs].