You are here
Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Yiran Chen received B.S (1998) and M.S. (2001) from Tsinghua University and Ph.D. (2005) from Purdue University. After five years in industry, he joined University of Pittsburgh in 2010 as Assistant Professor and then promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2014, held Bicentennial Alumni Faculty Fellow. He is now the Professor of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke University and serving as the director of NSF Industry–University Cooperative Research Center (IUCRC) for Alternative Sustainable and Intelligent Computing (ASIC) and the co-director of Duke Center for Computational Evolutionary Intelligence (CEI). His group focuses on the research of new memory and storage systems, machine learning and neuromorphic computing, and mobile computing systems. Dr. Chen has published 1 book and more than 400 technical publications and has been granted 96 US patents. He serves or served the associate editor of more than ten international academic transactions/journals and served on the technical and organization committees of more than 60 international conferences. He is now serving as the Editor-in-Chief of the IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine. He received seven best paper awards, one best poster award, and fourteen best paper nominations from international conferences and workshops. He is the recipient of the NSF CAREER award, the ACM SIGDA outstanding new faculty award, the Humboldt Research Fellowship for Experienced Researchers, and the IEEE SYSC/CEDA TCCPS Mid-Career Award. He is a distinguished lecturer of IEEE CEDA and listed in the HPCA Hall of Fame. He is a Fellow of the ACM and IEEE.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: 130 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27519
- Office Phone: (919) 660-1372
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Purdue University, 2005
Emerging memory and storage technologies
Embedded systems, CPS, edge computing, and mobile applications
Neuromorphic computing, deep learning and system security
Low power circuit and system
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Edward J. McCluskey Technical Achievement Award. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). 2022
- ACM Fellow. ACM. 2020
- IEEE Fellow. IEEE. 2018
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 661: Computer Engineering Machine Learning and Deep Neural Nets
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- NSF Launches Artificial Intelligence Research Center at Duke (Jul 29, 2021)
- Yiran Chen: Integrating Tomorrows Technology into Todays Devices (Jan 3, 2017)
- Li, T; Jing, N; Mao, Z; Chen, Y, A Hybrid-Grained Remapping Defense Scheme Against Hard Failures for Row-Column-NVM, Ieee Transactions on Computer Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, vol 41 no. 6 (2022), pp. 1842-1854 [10.1109/TCAD.2021.3097288] [abs].
- Yang, X; Taylor, B; Wu, A; Chen, Y; Chua, LO, Research Progress on Memristor: From Synapses to Computing Systems, Ieee Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol 69 no. 5 (2022), pp. 1845-1857 [10.1109/TCSI.2022.3159153] [abs].
- Chen, Y; Wang, Y, A survey of architectures of neural network accelerators, Scientia Sinica Informationis, vol 52 no. 4 (2022), pp. 596-611 [10.1360/SSI-2021-0409] [abs].
- Chen, Y; Reda, S, ISLPED 2021: The 25th Anniversary!, Ieee Design & Test, vol 39 no. 1 (2022), pp. 92-93 [10.1109/MDAT.2021.3128437] [abs].
- Inkawhich, M; Inkawhich, N; Davis, E; Li, H; Chen, Y, The Untapped Potential of Off-the-Shelf Convolutional Neural Networks, Proceedings 2022 Ieee/Cvf Winter Conference on Applications of Computer Vision, Wacv 2022 (2022), pp. 2907-2916 [10.1109/WACV51458.2022.00296] [abs].