You are here
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
The Ni group aims to realize human-oriented materials intelligence through the combination of soft electronics and digital metamaterials—the materials can sense human signals, transform and adapt their functional properties according to human actions or status. The technical approach embraces epidermal electronics for advanced sensing of body mechanics, and micro/nanomechanics for closed-loop programmable matter. Our research focuses on creating digital-physical interfaces for dynamic control over materials properties via a full spectrum of mechanical and acoustic processes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Assistant Professor of Biostatistics & Bioinformatics
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 2018
Flexible electronics, precision measurement, non-destructive testing, deformation physics of random media, mechanical metamaterials, robotic materials and smart structures, machine learning
In the News
- Xiaoyue Ni: Designing Smart Materials and Wearable Technologies to Improve Health (Oct 13, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Lee, K; Ni, X; Lee, JY; Arafa, H; Pe, DJ; Xu, S; Avila, R; Irie, M; Lee, JH; Easterlin, RL; Kim, DH; Chung, HU; Olabisi, OO; Getaneh, S; Chung, E; Hill, M; Bell, J; Jang, H; Liu, C; Park, JB; Kim, J; Kim, SB; Mehta, S; Pharr, M; Tzavelis, A; Reeder, JT; Huang, I; Deng, Y; Xie, Z; Davies, CR; Huang, Y; Rogers, JA, Mechano-acoustic sensing of physiological processes and body motions via a soft wireless device placed at the suprasternal notch., Nature Biomedical Engineering, vol 4 no. 2 (2020), pp. 148-158 [10.1038/s41551-019-0480-6] [abs].
- Prokhorov, LG; Mitrofanov, VP; Kamai, B; Markowitz, A; Ni, X; Adhikari, RX, Measurement of mechanical losses in the carbon nanotube black coating of silicon wafers, Classical and Quantum Gravity, vol 37 no. 1 (2020), pp. 015004-015004 [10.1088/1361-6382/ab5357] [abs].
- Ni, X; Guo, X; Li, J; Huang, Y; Zhang, Y; Rogers, JA, 2D Mechanical Metamaterials with Widely Tunable Unusual Modes of Thermal Expansion., Adv Mater, vol 31 no. 48 (2019) [10.1002/adma.201905405] [abs].
- Bai, W; Shin, J; Fu, R; Kandela, I; Lu, D; Ni, X; Park, Y; Liu, Z; Hang, T; Wu, D; Liu, Y; Haney, CR; Stepien, I; Yang, Q; Zhao, J; Nandoliya, KR; Zhang, H; Sheng, X; Yin, L; MacRenaris, K; Brikha, A; Aird, F; Pezhouh, M; Hornick, J; Zhou, W; Rogers, JA, Bioresorbable photonic devices for the spectroscopic characterization of physiological status and neural activity, Nature Biomedical Engineering, vol 3 no. 8 (2019), pp. 644-654 [10.1038/s41551-019-0435-y] [abs].
- Ni, X; Zhang, H; Liarte, DB; McFaul, LW; Dahmen, KA; Sethna, JP; Greer, JR, Yield Precursor Dislocation Avalanches in Small Crystals: The Irreversibility Transition., Physical Review Letters, vol 123 no. 3 (2019) [10.1103/physrevlett.123.035501] [abs].