You are here
William T. Joines
Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringWilliam T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four years in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories doing research and development of missile tracking and guidance radar. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Fellow of the IEEE, a recent recipient of the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award from the IEEE, and the Scientific and Technical Achievement Award presented by the Environmental Protection Agency. He has supervised more than 60 graduate students in their thesis and dissertation research leading to their MS and PhD degrees.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3467 CIEMAS Engineering Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1964
- M.S.E.E. Duke University, 1961
- B.S.E.E. North Carolina State University, 1959
Electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Life Fellow of IEEE. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2008
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 340L: Optics and Photonics
- ECE 572: Electromagnetic Communication Systems
- ECE 573: Optical Communication Systems
- ECE 575: Microwave Electronic Circuits
- ECE 891: Internship
- PHYSICS 320L: Optics and Photonics
- VMS 325L: Optics and Photonics
- Feng, N; Zhang, Y; Sun, Q; Zhu, J; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, An Accurate 3-D CFS-PML Based Crank–Nicolson FDTD Method and Its Applications in Low-Frequency Subsurface Sensing, Ieee Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol 66 no. 6 (2018), pp. 2967-2975 [10.1109/TAP.2018.2816788] [abs].
- Li, J; Yang, S; Ai, J; Nie, Z; Joines, W, A novel dual-polarized antenna with low profile and high port isolation, 2017 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Proceedings, vol 2017-January (2017), pp. 1777-1778 [10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2017.8072931] [abs].
- Shen, M; Lin, X; Ai, J; Ma, T; Joines, WT, A novel narrowband filter with cross-coupling used for system-in-package applications, 2017 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Proceedings, vol 2017-January (2017), pp. 2261-2262 [10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2017.8073173] [abs].
- Ai, J; Zhang, Y; Xu, K; Shen, M; Ma, T; Joines, WT, Miniaturized quad-band bandstop filter with controllable frequencies using multiple-mode resonator, 2017 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Proceedings, vol 2017-January (2017), pp. 2267-2268 [10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2017.8073176] [abs].
- Li, J; Yang, S; Shen, M; Nie, Z; Joines, W, A novel passive feeding network for isolation enhancement of dual-polarized antenna, 2017 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Proceedings, vol 2017-January (2017), pp. 2139-2140 [10.1109/APUSNCURSINRSM.2017.8073112] [abs].