You are here
William T. Joines
Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
William T. Joines earned the BS degree from North Carolina State University, MS, and PhD degrees from Duke University (all in electrical engineering) in 1959, 1961, and 1964, respectively. After high school and before college he served for four years in the United States Air Force (1951-1955) as an airborne radar technician. From 1959 to 1966 he was a Member of the Technical Staff of Bell Telephone Laboratories doing research and development of missile tracking and guidance radar. He joined the Electrical Engineering Department of Duke University as an Assistant Professor in 1966. He was appointed as an Associate Professor in 1968 and a Full Professor in 1979. His current research interests include electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures. He is a member of the Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Sigma Xi, honor societies. He is a Life Fellow of the IEEE, a recent recipient of the Outstanding Engineering Educator Award from the IEEE, and the Scientific and Technical Achievement Award presented by the Environmental Protection Agency. He has supervised more than 60 graduate students in their thesis and dissertation research leading to their MS and PhD degrees.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 3467 CIEMAS Engineering Bldg, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5281
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1964
- M.S.E.E. Duke University, 1961
- B.S.E.E. North Carolina State University, 1959
Electromagnetic field and wave interactions with materials and structures
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Life Fellow of IEEE. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2008
- ECE 270L: Introduction to Electromagnetic Fields
- ECE 340L: Optics and Photonics
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 573: Optical Communication Systems
- ECE 575: Microwave Electronic Circuits
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
- PHYSICS 320L: Optics and Photonics
- VMS 325L: Optics and Photonics
- Cai, Y; Li, S; Zhou, Y; Wang, X; Xu, K-D; Guo, R; Joines, WT, Tunable and Anisotropic Dual-Band Metamaterial Absorber Using Elliptical Graphene-Black Phosphorus Pairs., Nanoscale Research Letters, vol 14 no. 1 (2019) [10.1186/s11671-019-3182-9] [abs].
- Feng, N; Zhang, Y; Tian, X; Zhu, J; Joines, WT; Wang, GP, System-Combined ADI-FDTD Method and Its Electromagnetic Applications in Microwave Circuits and Antennas, Ieee Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, vol 67 no. 8 (2019), pp. 3260-3270 [10.1109/TMTT.2019.2919838] [abs].
- Cai, Y; Xu, KD; Wang, Y; Spiegel, RJ; Joines, WT, Stacked Thin Film Heterostructure with Tunable Ferroelectric BSTO, 2019 Cross Strait Quad Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference, Csqrwc 2019 Proceedings (2019) [10.1109/CSQRWC.2019.8799221] [abs].
- Xiao, LY; Shao, W; Ding, X; Liu, QH; Joines, WT, Multigrade Artificial Neural Network for the Design of Finite Periodic Arrays, Ieee Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol 67 no. 5 (2019), pp. 3109-3116 [10.1109/TAP.2019.2900359] [abs].
- Xiao, LY; Shao, W; Ding, X; Wang, BZ; Joines, WT; Liu, QH, Parametric Modeling of Microwave Components Based on Semi-Supervised Learning, Ieee Access, vol 7 (2019), pp. 35890-35897 [10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2904765] [abs].