You are here
Assistant Professor of the Practice in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Rabih Younes received his PhD in Computer Engineering from Virginia Tech in 2018 after receiving his BE and MSE in Computer Engineering from the Lebanese American University in 2011 and 2013, respectively. Rabih speaks nine languages (fluent in three) and holds a number of certificates in education, networking, IT, and skydiving. He is also a member of several honor societies, including Tau Beta Pi, Eta Kappa Nu, Phi Kappa Phi, and Golden Key.
Rabih has a passion for both teaching and research; he has been teaching since he was a teenager, and his research interests include wearable computing, activity recognition, context awareness, machine learning, engineering education, and Middle Eastern politics. As a professor, Rabih is committed to helping his students achieve their goals and providing them with opportunities to realize that. He also focuses on their personal development and on improving their abilities to be critical thinkers, better communicators, and active members of their community and the world.
More information can be found on his personal website: www.rabihyounes.com.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of the Practice in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Office Location: 204 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5051
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Virginia Polytech Institute and State University, 2018
- M.S. Lebanese American University (Lebanon), 2013
Research InterestsWearable computing, activity recognition, context awareness, machine learning, engineering education, and Middle Eastern politics
- COMPSCI 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 494: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 650: Systems Programming and Engineering
In the News
- Rabih Younes: Integrating Machine Learning with Motion-Capturing Wearable Devices (Sep 17, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Younes, R; Jones, M; Martin, TL, Classifier for Activities with Variations., Sensors (Basel, Switzerland), vol 18 no. 10 (2018) [10.3390/s18103529] [abs].
- Younes, R; Jones, M; Martin, TL, Toward Practical Activity Recognition: Recognizing Complex Activities with Wide Variations, 2018 Ieee International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops (Percom Workshops) (2018) [10.1109/percomw.2018.8480368] [abs].
- Younes, R; Groen, C; Gewirtz, C; Taiwo, A; Cranwell, L, Creative Ways of Knowing and the Future of Engineering Education (2016), pp. 219-232 [10.1007/978-3-319-49352-7_9] [abs].
- Younes, R; Hines, K; Forsyth, J; Dennis, J; Martin, T; Jones, M, The design of smart garments for motion capture and activity classification (2016), pp. 627-655 [10.1016/b978-0-08-100574-3.00027-8] [abs].
- Blake, M; Younes, R; Dennis, J; Martin, TL; Jones, M, A User-Independent and Sensor-Tolerant Wearable Activity Classifier, Computer, vol 48 no. 10 (2015), pp. 64-71 [10.1109/mc.2015.296] [abs].