You are here
Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science (beginning January 2019)
Po-Chun Hsu’s research group aims to develop innovative materials for light and heat management. With the application and desired functions in mind, we design, synthesize, and fabricate the materials and devices with ideal photonic structure, chemical properties, or heat transfer characteristics. Focus areas include smart textiles, photonic fibers, solar desalination, and solid-state cooling.
He received his Ph.D. degree in Materials Science and Engineering from Stanford University in 2016 and B.S. also in Materials Science and Engineering from National Tsing Hua University in 2007. His PhD works involve radiative heating/cooling textiles, electrochromic devices, nanofiber electrospinning, and metal nanowire transparent electrodes. During 2016-2018, he was a postdoctoral researcher in Mechanical Engineering at Stanford University, focusing on electrocaloric cooling and thermal properties study of van der Waals heterostructure materials. Having the training in both materials science and heat transfer and participated in a wide range of projects, Dr. Hsu embraces interdisciplinary, multiscale, and solution-oriented research that can benefit humanity.
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2016
Smart multifunctional textiles, camouflage fabrics, stimuli-responsive polymer, wearable electronics, photon management, radiation heat transfer, solar desalination and water harvesting, electrochemical devices, electrospinning and fiber fabrication.
- Hsu, P-C; Song, AY; Catrysse, PB; Liu, C; Peng, Y; Xie, J; Fan, S; Cui, Y, “Radiative human body cooling by nanoporous polyethylene textile” Science, vol 353 no. 6303 (2016), pp. 1019-1023
- Hsu, P-C; Liu, C; Song, AY; Zhang, Z, Peng, Y; Xie, J; Liu, K; Wu, C-L; Catrysse, PB; Cai, L; Zhai, S; Majumdar, A; Fan, S; Cui; Y, “Dual-mode textile for human body radiative heating and cooling” Science Advances, vol 3 no. 11 (2017), e1700895
- Hsu, P-C; Liu, X; Liu, C; Xie X; Lee, HR; Welch, AJ; Zhao, T; Cui, Y; “Personal thermal management by metallic nanowire-coated textile” Nano Letters, vol 15 no. 1 (2015), pp. 365-371
- Hsu*, P-C; Wang*, S; Wu, H; Narasimhan, VK; Lee, HY; Cui, Y, “Performance enhancement of metal nanowire transparent conducting electrodes by mesoscale metal wires” Nature Communications, vol 4 no. 2522 (2013)
- Hsu, P-C; Kong, D; Wang, S; Wang, H; Welch, AJ; Wu, H; Cui, Y, “Electrolessly deposited electrospun metal nanowire transparent electrodes” Journal of American Chemical Society, vol 136 no. 30 (2014), pp. 10593-10596
- Hsu, P-C; Wu, H; Carney, TJ; McDowell, MT; Yang, Y; Garnett, EC; Li, M; Hu, L; Cui, Y, “Passivation coating on electrospun copper nanofibers for stable transparent electrodes” ACS Nano, vol 6 no. 6 (2012), pp. 5150-5156
- Deng*, B; Hsu*, P-C; Chen, G; Chandrashekar, BN; Liao, L; Ayitimuda, Z; Wu, J; Guo, Y; Lin, L; Zhou, Y; Aisijiang, M; Xie, Q; Cui, Y; Liu, Z; Peng, H, "Roll-to-roll encapsulation of metal nanowires in graphene and plastic substrate for high-performance flexible transparent electrodes" Nano Letters, vol 15 no. 6 (2015), pp. 4206-4213
- Liu*, C; Hsu*, P-C; Lee, HW; Ye, M; Zheng, G; Liu, N; Li, W; Cui, Y, “Transparent air filter for high-efficiency PM2. 5 capture” Nature Communications, vol 6 no. 6205 (2015)
- Chen, Z; Hsu, P-C; Lopez, J; Li, Y; To, JWF; Liu, N; Wang, C; Andrews, SC; Liu, J; Cui, Y; Bao, Z, “Fast and reversible thermoresponsive polymer switching for safer batteries” Nature Energy, vol 1 no. 15006 (2016)
- Peng*, Y; Chen*, J; Song*, AY; Catrysse*, PB; Hsu, P-C; Cai, L; Liu, B; Zhu, Y; Zhou, G; Wu, DS; Lee, HR; Fan, S; Cui, Y, “Nanoporous polyethylene microfibres for large-scale radiative cooling fabric” Nature Sustainability, vol 1 no. 2 (2018), pp. 105-112