You are here
Professor of the Practice
Professor Franzoni's research areas include: acoustics, and structural dynamics and vibration. Practical applications of this work include: acoustics of enclosures (rooms or vehicle interiors) and underwater acoustics (acoustic radiation and scattering from submarines).
Professor Franzoni's interior noise research has focused on developing improved methods for predicting sound pressure levels in acoustic spaces which contain high-frequency sound waves with moderate damping. For these types of sound fields, accurate prediction methods currently require extensive computational effort. Professor Franzoni's research goal is to develop computationally efficient methods that provide the acoustician with a fairly detailed description of the sound field.
Professor Franzoni's work in underwater acoustics has focused on applying Bliss' method of Analytical/Numerical Matching (ANM) to the prediction of acoustic radiation and scattering from flexible elastic submerged structures with discontinuities. Work is underway to implement this method in existing Navy computer codes. A recent extension of this work is a novel method for the homogenization of structures using a local/global decomposition method. The result is a reduction in computational effort for certain types of problems.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of the Practice
- Associate Dean of Undergraduate Education
- Office Location: 305 Teer, Box 90271, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5996
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1991
- M.S. Duke University, 1988
- B.S. Yale University, 1980
Acoustics of enclosures, underwater acoustics, structural dynamics and vibration.
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- HOUSECS 59: House Course
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 499: Undergraduate Research Seminar Series
- ME 572: Engineering Acoustics
- Raudales, D; Bliss, DB; Michalis, KA; Rouse, JW; Franzoni, LP, Benchmark analytical solutions for steady state high frequency broadband sound fields in three rectangular enclosures., The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, vol 145 no. 4 (2019) [10.1121/1.5095771] [abs].
- Burton, LJ; Bliss, DB; Franzoni, LP, Sound attenuation and prediction of porous media properties in hybrid ducts utilizing spatially periodic area changes, 2008 Proceedings of the Noisecon/Asme Ncad, Ncad 2008 (2009), pp. 363-371 [abs].
- He, Q; Bliss, DB; Franzoni, L, Noise reduction strategies using multi-element flexible structures, 2008 Proceedings of the Noisecon/Asme Ncad, Ncad 2008 (2009), pp. 373-383 [abs].
- Bliss, D; Franzoni, L; Michalis, K, Characterization of high frequency radiation from panels subject to broadband excitation, 2008 Proceedings of the Noisecon/Asme Ncad, Ncad 2008 (2009), pp. 357-361 [abs].
- Michalis, K; Bliss, D; Franzoni, L, Prediction and modification of broadband interior noise in enclosures using energy-intensity bem and absorption scaling, 2008 Proceedings of the Noisecon/Asme Ncad, Ncad 2008 (2009), pp. 339-347 [abs].