You are here
James L. Meriam Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Lawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Duke University, where he is now a Professor, and Vice Provost for Research. From 2003-2014 he held the William H. Younger Distinguished Professorship, and he was ECE Department Chair from 2011-2014. Dr Carin's early research was in the area of electromagentics and sensing, and over the last 15 years his research has moved to applied statistics and machine learning. He has recently served on the Program Committee for the following machine learning conferences: International Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML), Neural and Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). He was previously an Associate Editor (AE) of the IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, the IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, and the SIAM J. of Imaging Science. He is currently an AE for the J. of Machine Learning Research. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- James L. Meriam Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Vice Provost for Research
- Professor of Computer Science
- Professor of Statistical Science
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: 119 Allen Building, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 681-6436
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Applied statistics and machine learning
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2001
- CEE 780: Internship
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 291: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- STA 393: Research Independent Study
- STA 493: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Larry Carin Reappointed to New Term as Vice Provost for Research (Oct 2, 2018)
- +DataScience Wants to Put the Power of Machine Learning in Everyone’s Hands (Sep 28, 2018)
- Duke Teaming Up With Microsoft In Durham and In The Cloud (Jul 9, 2018)
- Webs of Minds and Ideas Bind Dukes Campus (Mar 14, 2017)
- Duke to discuss partnership with Indian institute of Technology (Jan 6, 2016 | Triangle Business Journal)
- Duke Board Updated on Academic, Financial Issues at Fall Meeting (Oct 2, 2015)
- Duke, RTI team for projects, fund two with $100,000 each (Mar 4, 2015 | WRAL Tech Wire)
- Duke names new vice provost for research (May 23, 2014 | Durham Herald-Sun)
- Carin Named Vice Provost for Research (May 20, 2014)
- Carlson, D; Carin, L, Continuing progress of spike sorting in the era of big data., Current Opinion in Neurobiology, vol 55 (2019), pp. 90-96 [10.1016/j.conb.2019.02.007] [abs].
- Chen, C; Wang, W; Zhang, Y; Su, Q; Carin, L, A convergence analysis for a class of practical variance-reduction stochastic gradient MCMC, Science China Information Sciences, vol 62 no. 1 (2019) [10.1007/s11432-018-9656-y] [abs].
- Zhang, X; Yuan, X; Carin, L, Nonlocal Low-Rank Tensor Factor Analysis for Image Restoration, Proceedings of the Ieee Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2018), pp. 8232-8241 [10.1109/CVPR.2018.00859] [abs].
- Carin, L; Pencina, MJ, On Deep Learning for Medical Image Analysis., Jama, vol 320 no. 11 (2018), pp. 1192-1193 [10.1001/jama.2018.13316] [abs].
- Hultman, R; Ulrich, K; Sachs, BD; Blount, C; Carlson, DE; Ndubuizu, N; Bagot, RC; Parise, EM; Vu, M-AT; Gallagher, NM; Wang, J; Silva, AJ; Deisseroth, K; Mague, SD; Caron, MG; Nestler, EJ; Carin, L; Dzirasa, K, Brain-wide Electrical Spatiotemporal Dynamics Encode Depression Vulnerability., Cell, vol 173 no. 1 (2018), pp. 166-180.e14 [10.1016/j.cell.2018.02.012] [abs].