You are here
Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringLawrence Carin earned the BS, MS, and PhD degrees in electrical engineering at the University of Maryland, College Park, in 1985, 1986, and 1989, respectively. In 1989 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Polytechnic University (Brooklyn) as an Assistant Professor, and became an Associate Professor there in 1994. In September 1995 he joined the Electrical Engineering Department at Duke University, where he is now a Professor, and Vice Provost for Research. From 2003-2014 he held the William H. Younger Distinguished Professorship, and he was ECE Department Chair from 2011-2014. Dr Carin's early research was in the area of electromagentics and sensing, and over the last 15 years his research has moved to applied statistics and machine learning. He has recently served on the Program Committee for the following machine learning conferences: International Conf. on Machine Learning (ICML), Neural and Information Processing Systems (NIPS), Artificial Intelligence and Statistics (AISTATS), and Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI). He was previously an Associate Editor (AE) of the IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, the IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, and the SIAM J. of Imaging Science. He is currently an AE for the J. of Machine Learning Research. He is an IEEE Fellow.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Vice Provost for Research
- Member of the Duke Clinical Research Institute
- Office Location: 176 Hudson Eng Ctr, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5270
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Maryland, College Park, 1989
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Maryland, College Park, 1986
- B.S.E. University of Maryland, College Park, 1985
Applied statistics and machine learning
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2001
- CEE 780: Internship
- COMPSCI 393: Research Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- ECE 391: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 493: Projects in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Webs of Minds and Ideas Bind Dukes Campus (Mar 14, 2017)
- Duke to discuss partnership with Indian institute of Technology (Jan 6, 2016 | Triangle Business Journal )
- Duke Board Updated on Academic, Financial Issues at Fall Meeting (Oct 2, 2015)
- Duke, RTI team for projects, fund two with $100,000 each (Mar 4, 2015 | WRAL Tech Wire )
- Duke names new vice provost for research (May 23, 2014 | Durham Herald-Sun )
- Carin Named Vice Provost for Research (May 20, 2014)
- Hultman, R; Ulrich, K; Sachs, BD; Blount, C; Carlson, DE; Ndubuizu, N; Bagot, RC; Parise, EM; Vu, M-AT; Gallagher, NM; Wang, J; Silva, AJ; Deisseroth, K; Mague, SD; Caron, MG; Nestler, EJ; Carin, L; Dzirasa, K, Brain-wide Electrical Spatiotemporal Dynamics Encode Depression Vulnerability., Cell, vol 173 no. 1 (2018), pp. 166-180.e14 [10.1016/j.cell.2018.02.012] [abs].
- Carlson, D; David, LK; Gallagher, NM; Vu, M-AT; Shirley, M; Hultman, R; Wang, J; Burrus, C; McClung, CA; Kumar, S; Carin, L; Mague, SD; Dzirasa, K, Dynamically Timed Stimulation of Corticolimbic Circuitry Activates a Stress-Compensatory Pathway., Biological Psychiatry, vol 82 no. 12 (2017), pp. 904-913 [10.1016/j.biopsych.2017.06.008] [abs].
- Gan, Z; Gan, C; He, X; Pu, Y; Tran, K; Gao, J; Carin, L; Deng, L, Semantic compositional networks for visual captioning, Proceedings - 30th IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2017, vol 2017-January (2017), pp. 1141-1150 [10.1109/CVPR.2017.127] [abs].
- Xing, Z; Hillygus, S; Carin, L, Evaluating U.S. Electoral representation with a joint statistical model of congressional roll-calls, legislative text, and voter registration data, Proceedings of the ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, vol Part F129685 (2017), pp. 1205-1214 [10.1145/3097983.3098151] [abs].
- Wang, L; Chen, M; Rodrigues, M; Wilcox, D; Calderbank, R; Carin, L, Information-Theoretic Compressive Measurement Design., IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol 39 no. 6 (2017), pp. 1150-1164 [10.1109/tpami.2016.2568189] [abs].