You are here
George A. Truskey
R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Professor of Biomedical EngineeringMy research interests focus upon the effect of physical forces on the function of vascular cells and skeletal muscle, cell adhesion, and the design of engineered tissues. Current research projects examine the effect of endothelial cell senescence upon permeability to macromolecules and the response to fluid shear stress, the development of microphysiological blood vessels and muscles for evaluation of drug toxicity and the design of engineered endothelialized blood vessels and skeletal muscle bundles.
Appointments and Affiliations
- R. Eugene and Susie E. Goodson Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Senior Associate Dean in the Pratt School of Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Affiliate of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society
- Affiliate of the Regeneration Next Initiative
- Office Location: 1395 Fciemas, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708-0281
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5147
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1985
- B.S.E. University of Pennsylvania, 1979
Research InterestsCardiovascular tissue engineering, mechanisms of atherogenesis, cell adhesion, and cell biomechanics.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). 2015
- AAAS Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2014
- BMES Distinguished Service Award. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2012
- NIH CSR College of Reviewers. NIH. 2010
- Capers and Marion McDonald Award for Excellence in Mentoring and Advising. Duke University. 2007
- Fellow. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2006
- Fellow. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
- Fellow. Council on Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology, American Heart Association. 1999
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Tau Beta Pi, North Carolina Gamma Chapter. 1998
- Outstanding Scientific Paper in the Journal of Parenteral Science and Technology. Parenteral Drug Association. 1987
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 566: Transport Phenomena in Cells and Organs (GE, MC)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 899: Special Readings in Biomedical Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
In the News
- Tissue Chips Take Aim at Atherosclerosis and Rheumatoid Arthritis (Sep 15, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Artificial Blood Vessels Mimic Rare Accelerated Aging Disease (Aug 14, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Researchers have discovered a fast way to make artificial arteries for testing drugs (Feb 26, 2016 | Gizmodo)
- Rapidly Building Artificial Arteries that Produce Natural Biochemical Signals (Feb 18, 2016)
- Grant to Support Science, Engineering Professorships for Women (Jan 14, 2016)
- Five Faculty Named Fellows of American Association for the Advancement of Science (Nov 24, 2014)
- $3 Million NIH Grant to Further 3-D Tissue Chip Research at Duke (Sep 25, 2014)
- $3 Million NIH Grant to Further 3-D Tissue Chip Research at Duke (Sep 24, 2014)
- Davis, BNJ; Santoso, JW; Walker, MJ; Oliver, CE; Cunningham, MM; Boehm, CA; Dawes, D; Lasater, SL; Huffman, K; Kraus, WE; Truskey, GA, Modeling the Effect of TNF-α upon Drug-Induced Toxicity in Human, Tissue-Engineered Myobundles., Annals of Biomedical Engineering (2019) [10.1007/s10439-019-02263-8] [abs].
- Lin, L; Xu, H; Bishawi, M; Feng, F; Samy, K; Truskey, G; Barbas, AS; Kirk, AD; Brennan, TV, Circulating mitochondria in organ donors promote allograft rejection., American Journal of Transplantation : Official Journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons (2019) [10.1111/ajt.15309] [abs].
- Truskey, GA, Development and application of human skeletal muscle microphysiological systems., Lab on a Chip, vol 18 no. 20 (2018), pp. 3061-3073 [10.1039/c8lc00553b] [abs].
- Zhang, X; Hong, S; Yen, R; Kondash, M; Fernandez, CE; Truskey, GA, A system to monitor statin-induced myopathy in individual engineered skeletal muscle myobundles., Lab on a Chip, vol 18 no. 18 (2018), pp. 2787-2796 [10.1039/c8lc00654g] [abs].
- Chen, Z; Tang, M; Huang, D; Jiang, W; Li, M; Ji, H; Park, J; Xu, B; Atchison, LJ; Truskey, GA; Leong, KW, Real-time observation of leukocyte-endothelium interactions in tissue-engineered blood vessel., Lab on a Chip, vol 18 no. 14 (2018), pp. 2047-2054 [10.1039/c8lc00202a] [abs].