You are here
Akhenaton-Andrew Dhafir Jones
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Jones' research focuses on addressing global challenges in water and bacteria using engineering and policy analysis. On the microscale this has included efforts exploring how bacteria and bacterial biofilms form and function under fluid, chemical, electrical, and nanomaterial stress. On the human scale this has included systems engineering analysis on how material technology systems can be deployed to increase equity.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Thomas Lord Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 534 Research Dr., Wilkinson 215, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8453
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2018
Biofilms, cardiovascular infections, infectious diseases, biomaterials, antibiotics, porous media flows, fate and transport of nanomaterials in biofilms, water quality sensors, environmental systems analysis, environmental equity, environmental justice
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- 1,000 Inspiring Black Scientists in America. Cell Press . 2021
- Post-doctoral Student Award. The American Institute of Chemist. 2019
- Young Investigator Award. Montana State University Center for Biofilm Engineering. 2018
- CEE 301L: Fluid Mechanics
- CEE 560: Environmental Transport Phenomena
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 701: Graduate Colloquium
In the News
- Merging Policy and Technology for a Resilient Water System (Apr 1, 2022 | DukEngineer Magazine)
- Welcome the Pratt School New Faculty (Oct 26, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Andrew Jones III: Expanding Access to Safe, Clean Water (Apr 15, 2021 | Duke Engineering News)
- Razgaleh, SA; Wrench, A; Jones, A-AD, Surface Energy and Viscoelastic Characteristics of Staphylococcus epidermidis and Cutibacterium acnes Biofilm on Commercial Skin Constructs versus Agar. (2023) [10.1101/2023.02.10.527933] [abs].
- Jones, A-AD; Buie, CR, In situ continuous electrochemical quantification of bacterial adhesion to electrically polarized metallic surfaces under shear., Biointerphases, vol 17 no. 2 (2022) [10.1116/6.0001585] [abs].
- Cohen, SE; Hashmi, SM; Jones, A-AD; Lykourinou, V; Ondrechen, MJ; Sridhar, S; van de Ven, AL; Waters, LS; Beuning, PJ, Adapting Undergraduate Research to Remote Work to Increase Engagement., Biophysicist (Rockville, Md.), vol 2 no. 2 (2021), pp. 28-32 [10.35459/tbp.2021.000199] [abs].
- Medina-Cruz, D; Vernet-Crua, A; Mostafavi, E; González, MU; Martínez, L; Iii, A-ADJ; Kusper, M; Sotelo, E; Gao, M; Geoffrion, LD; Shah, V; Guisbiers, G; Cholula-Díaz, JL; Guillermier, C; Khanom, F; Huttel, Y; García-Martín, JM; Webster, TJ, Aloe Vera-Mediated Te Nanostructures: Highly Potent Antibacterial Agents and Moderated Anticancer Effects., Nanomaterials (Basel, Switzerland), vol 11 no. 2 (2021) [10.3390/nano11020514] [abs].
- Jones, A-A; Medina-Cruz, D; Kim, NYJ; Mi, G; Bartomeu-Garcia, C; Baranda-Pellejero, L; Bassous, N; Webster, T, Statistical classification of dynamic bacterial growth with sub-inhibitory concentrations of nanoparticles and its implications for disease treatment (2020) [10.1101/2020.07.19.210930] [abs].