You are here
Jeffrey N. Vinik Professor
Dr. Stiff-Roberts received both the B.S. degree in physics from Spelman College and the B.E.E. degree in electrical engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1999. She received an M.S.E. in electrical engineering and a Ph.D. in applied physics in 2001 and 2004, respectively, from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, where she investigated high-temperature quantum dot infrared photodetectors grown by molecular beam epitaxy. Dr. Stiff-Roberts joined Duke University in August 2004, and she is a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
Dr. Stiff-Roberts' research interests include the synthesis of multi-component and hybrid (organic-inorganic) materials using a novel approach for organic-based thin film deposition that combines solution and vacuum-processing. Known as emulsion-based, resonant infrared matrix-assisted pulsed laser evaporation (RIR-MAPLE), this technique offers a completely new way to integrate novel functions into organic-based films and devices that are difficult, if not impossible, to achieve otherwise. Research efforts include materials synthesis and characterization to investigate the fundamental mechanisms of thin-film growth using RIR-MAPLE, as well as device fabrication and characterization for a broad range of applications (especially optoelectronic and energy devices).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Jeffrey N. Vinik Professor
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 3511 CIEMAS, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5560
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2004
- M.Sc.Eng. University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, 2001
- B.S.E.E. Georgia Institute of Technology, 1999
- B.S. Spelman College, 1999
Thin-film deposition, MAPLE, hybrid perovskites, hybrid nanocomposites, organic thin films
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Honoree. Duke University Senior Honors. 2017
- Invited Speaker. National Academy of Engineering (NAE), EU-US Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, Finland. 2016
- Julian Abele Award for Graduate Mentor of the Year. Mary Lou Williams Center, Black Student Alliance, and Black Graduate and Professional Student Association. 2016
- IEEE Early Career Award in Nanotechnology for “contributions to the development of nanoscale quantum dots for infrared detection”. IEEE Nanotechnology Council. 2009
- Senior Member. IEEE. 2009
- Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers. Department of Defense, Office of Naval Research. 2008
- Young Investigator Award. Office of Naval Research. 2007
- NSF CAREER AWARD. National Science Foundation. 2006
- Inducted. Phi Beta Kappa Society. 1998
- Inducted. Sigma Pi Sigma Physics Honor Society. 1998
- Inducted. Golden Key Honor Society. 1996
- ECE 230L: Introduction to Microelectronic Devices and Circuits
- ECE 341L: Solar Cells
- ECE 521: Quantum Mechanics
In the News
- Duke Adds 21 Faculty to Distinguished Faculty Rank (May 7, 2019)
- Pratt Researchers Join National Effort to Unlock New Energy Technologies (Aug 23, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hidden No More: Women in STEM Reflect on Their Journeys (Mar 30, 2017 | Duke Research Blog)
- ECE Start-up Aims to to Transform How Blood Glucose Is Monitored (Jun 2, 2015)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Ferguson, S; Williams, CV; Mohapi, B; Stiff-Roberts, AD, Deposition of β-Polyfluorene by Resonant Infrared Matrix-Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation, Journal of Electronic Materials (2019) [10.1007/s11664-019-07115-8] [abs].
- Dunlap-Shohl, WA; Barraza, ET; Barrette, A; Gundogdu, K; Stiff-Roberts, AD; Mitzi, DB, MAPbI3 Solar Cells with Absorber Deposited by Resonant Infrared Matrix-Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation, Acs Energy Letters, vol 3 no. 2 (2018), pp. 270-275 [10.1021/acsenergylett.7b01144] [abs].
- Barraza, ET; Dunlap-Shohl, WA; Mitzi, DB; Stiff-Roberts, AD, Deposition of Methylammonium Lead Triiodide by Resonant Infrared Matrix-Assisted Pulsed Laser Evaporation, Journal of Electronic Materials, vol 47 no. 2 (2018), pp. 917-926 [10.1007/s11664-017-5814-0] [abs].
- Stiff-Roberts, AD; Mitzi, DB; Barraza, ET; Dunlap-Shohl, WA, Resonant infrared matrix-assisted pulsed laser evaporation of hybrid perovskites, Optics Infobase Conference Papers, vol Part F107-NOMA 2018 (2018) [10.1364/NOMA.2018.NoM4D.2] [abs].
- Caricato, AP; Ge, W; Stiff-Roberts, AD, UV- and RIR-MAPLE: Fundamentals and applications, vol 274 (2018), pp. 275-308 [10.1007/978-3-319-96845-2_10] [abs].