You are here
Celebrating a Spring Filled with Awards
April 26, 2023
Duke Engineering faculty, graduate students and research staff garnered a wide array of awards and recognitions over the spring semester
- Yiran Chen (ECE) was appointed to the Committee on Using Machine Learning in Safety-Critical Applications: Setting a Research Agenda, which has been convened under the auspices of the Computer Science and Telecommunications Board’s (CSTB) of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. He was also elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Ingrid Daubechies (ECE, Math) won the 2023 Wolf Prize, known as Israel's Nobel Prize.
- Jessilyn Dunn (BME) and her lab were selected to participate in the 2023 Google Season of Docs.
- Aaron Franklin (ECE) won the MCC Hall of Fame Alumni Achievement Award.
Charles Gersbach (BME) made the 2022 Clarivate "Highly Cited Researchers" list and was elected to the National Academy of Inventors.
Warren Grill (BME) won the first annual North American Neuromodulation Society Clinical and Basic Science/Engineering Innovator Award and was elected to the National Academy of Inventors. He was was named the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Neural Engineering and he and his collaborators advanced to Phase II of the Neuromod Prize competition.
- Roarke Horstmeyer (BME) received a CAREER Award from the National Science Foundation.
Gaby Katul (CEE) was elected to the National Academy of Engineering.
Cameron Kim (BME) received the Best Work-in-Progress presentation from the American Society for Engineering Education in the Biomedical Engineering Division.
- Nimmi Ramanujam (BME) received the Biomedical Engineering Award from IEEE.
Amanda Randles (BME) won a high-impact computational science award through the Innovative and Novel Computational Impact on Theory and Experiment (INCITE) program.
- Michael Reiter was awarded a "Test of Time" award at the 2022 ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security.
Daniel Reker (BME) received the Trailblazer Award from the National Institute of Health’s National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering.
- Michael Rubinstein (BME) was named a Fellow of the American Chemical Society.
Tatiana Segura (BME) was named a Senior Member of the National Academy of Inventors.
Adrienne Stiff-Roberts (ECE) won an NSF BRITE Fellowship.
Kishor Trivedi (ECE) won a Distinguished Alumnus Award from IIT Bombay.
Mark Wiesner (CEE) made the 2022 Clarivate "Highly Cited Researchers" list and won the 2024 Simon W. Freese Environmental Engineering Award and Lecture presented by the ASCE's Environmental and Water Resources Institute (EWRI).
PhD Student Awards
- Chen-Chia Chang, Jingyu Pan, Zhiyao Xie (advisor: Yiran Chen, ECE) won the Best Paper Award at 28th Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference (ASPDAC).
Jahrane Dale (advisor: Warren Grill, BME) received an F31 Predoctoral Fellowship from the National Institutes of Health.
- Shiyi Jiang (advisor: Krishnendu Chakrabarty, Arizona State University; Anru Zhang, Bioinformatics) won the Data Science Distinguished Paper Award at AMIA 2023 Informatics Summit.
- Ellery Jones (advisor: George Truskey, BME) received an F31 Award from the National Institutes of Health.
Kyungdo Kim (advisor: Timothy Dunn, BME) received an award from the Asan Foundation and a PhD Fellowship Award from Hyundai.
- James Lu (advisors: Tingjun Chen, Yiran Chen, ECE) won a National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate (NDSEG) Fellowship, 2023.
Kay Palopoli (advisor: Warren Grill, BME) received the Trainee Professional Development Award from the Society of Neuroscience.
Josh Wu (advisor: Timothy Dunn, BME) received the Intern Award from the National Science Foundation.
- Melissa Wu (advisor: Roarke Horstmeyer, BME) was awarded a National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship from the Department of Defense.
- Zhiyao Xie (advisors: Yiran Chen, Hai Li, ECE) won the ACM Outstanding Ph.D. Dissertation Award in Electronic Design Automation, 2023 and EDAA Outstanding Dissertation Award, 2023.
- Xiaoxuan Yang (advisors: Yiran Chen, Hai Li, ECE) was awarded the Bronze Medal of the ACM Student Research Competition at ICCAD 2022.
- August Young-Frechette (advisor: Z.J. Kabala, CEE) won first place in the student poster competition at the 38th Annual International Conference on Soils, Sediments, Water, & Energy. Amherst, MA.
- Boyang Zhang (advisor: Henri Gavin, CEE) recently won the only Best Presentation Award from the 2023 Southeast Control Conference.
Research Staff Awards
Al-Hafeez Dhalla’s (BME) startup, Theia Imaging, a BME spinout, was awarded SBIR Phase II funding.
Lucas Kreiss (BME) was awarded a Global Postdoctoral Fellowship from the German govermnet.
- Nicole “Nikki” Pelot (BME) received the Gold Electrode Award for Neurotechnology Researcher of the Year from Neurotech Reports.
Edgar Peña (BME) received the Diversity and Outreach Committee Pipeline Award from the North American Neuromodulation Society.
Md Mobashir Hasan Shandhi (BME) received a postdoctoral fellowship from the American Heart Association.
- David Wolff (BME) received a Pathway to Independence Award for Postdoctoral Researchers from the National Cancer Institute.
- Megan Madonna (BME) recieved the Burroughs Wellcome Young Investigator Award from BMES.