Duke Engineering at a Glance
Duke’s Pratt School of Engineering is a vibrant teaching and research institution dedicated to training the next generation of leaders and exploring the frontiers of engineering to develop solutions to the world’s greatest challenges.
One of the fastest-rising engineering schools in the nation in recent years, Duke Engineering offers a highly interdisciplinary environment within a top-10 research university. Equipped to combine technical expertise with broad perspectives, our graduates go on to become leaders and innovators who make a significant impact in their chosen careers.
Our mission is to provide a rigorous engineering education for both undergraduate and graduate students, enabling them to lead productive, rewarding, and ethical lives for the betterment of society. It is our vision that Duke engineering students and faculty will be catalysts for generating and integrating knowledge across the disciplines required to address complex issues facing a global society.
Learn more about our mission.
We offer bachelor’s, master’s of science and doctoral degrees in each of our school’s four departments:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Through our Professional Master’s Program, we also offer a Master of Engineering Management degree and a suite of Master of Engineering degrees for students who want to pursue applied engineering roles in industry.
The Pratt School of Engineering and Trinity College of Arts and Sciences are the undergraduate schools of Duke University. We are also one of Duke’s seven graduate and professional schools and have extensive collaboration with the School of Medicine, and the Sanford School of Public Policy, Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, School of Law, Fuqua School of Business and the Graduate School.
Duke Engineering by the Numbers
Highly Ranked Programs
- Fastest-rising of top engineering schools over the past five years
- #3 in Biomedical Engineering (U.S. News & World Report)
- #6 in the U.S./#11 in the world in environmental science & engineering in the 2016 Academic Ranking of World Universities (ShanghaiRanking)
- #15 in Environmental Engineering (U.S. News & World Report)
- #18 School for Undergraduate Engineering (U.S. News & World Report)
- #2 Best Online Engineering Program – Distributed Master of Engineering Management (College Choice)
- Top 10 Graduate Engineering Program Popular with Women (U.S. News & World Report)
- Top 25 Best Online Engineering Programs – Distributed Master of Engineering Management (U.S. News & World Report)
- Top 30 School for Graduate Engineering (U.S. News & World Report)
- #20 on Business Insider's 50 Best Engineering Schools (BusinessInsider.com)
- #8 National University (U.S. News & World Report)
- #14 on Reuter's 100 Most Innovative Universities in the World (Reuters.com)
- 31 percent women (national average: 21 percent)
- More than 70 percent participate in an industry internship or other work-related experience
- Nearly 60 percent have an intensive research experience with a faculty member
- Nearly 30 percent study abroad
Our Graduate Students
- 465 PhD students
- 306 MEMP
- 122 MS
- 82 MEng
- 13 NSF Fellowships in 2016-17
- 13 percent growth over past decade
- Rank among the top 12 in their fields in research productivity among U.S. engineering schools
- 27 spin-off companies started by Pratt faculty
- 6 members of the National Academy of Engineering
- Noted for achievements in fields including engineering, finance, entrepreneurship, corporate leadership, teaching, medicine and more
- 24 members of the National Academy of Engineering
We are located near North Carolina's famed Research Triangle Park, named for the Triangle formed by Duke University in Durham, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University in Raleigh. The 7,000-acre Research Triangle Park, recognized internationally as a center for cutting-edge research and development, is home to more than 140 organizations and more than 100,000 employees.