You are here
Zbigniew J. Kabala
Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental EngineeringBorn and raised behind the Iron Curtain, Dr. Zbigniew J. Kabala is a naturalized United States citizen who cherishes the freedoms and opportunities granted by this country. He earned his master's degree in civil engineering in 1980 from Poznan Polytechnic in Poznan, Poland, and master's degree in mathematics in 1982 from A. Mickiewicz University in Poznan. At Princeton University, he earned another master's and Ph.D. degrees in civil engineering and operations research in 1985 and 1988, respectively. Next, Dr. Kabala held one-year postdoctoral appointments at the MIT in the Ralph M. Parsons Laboratory and at the UC-Berkeley in the Department of Soil Science. He was then appointed an assistant professor of hydrology in the Department of Soils and Environmental Sciences at the UC-Riverside. He joined the Duke faculty in the summer of 1994.
Dr. Kabala's principal research interests cover stochastic and deterministic theory of fluid flow and contaminant transport in saturated and unsaturated heterogeneous porous media, theory of related measurements, field and laboratory studies in subsurface hydrology, stochastic fields and processes, numerical and analytical methods and sensitivity analysis. His current research focuses on developing new measurement techniques for characterization of porous media, recovering contaminant release histories from current plume observations, and stochastic modeling of water and solute transport in saturated and unsaturated heterogeneous formations.
Dr. Kabala has served as a faculty in residence (FIR) in Southgate Dorm on the East Campus for a number of years. He enjoys his interactions with students outside of class. He follows politics with great passion and occasionally writes about it on Mic. Dr. Kabala is an avid member of Toastmasters International, where he hones his public speaking skills. In his free time, he enjoys racquet and water sports, hiking, reading, and listening to jazz.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Office Location: CIEMAS 2467, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5479
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Princeton University, 1988
- M.S. Princeton University, 1982
- M.S. Poznan Polytechnic (Poland), 1980
Stochastic and deterministic theory of fluid flow and contaminant transport in saturated and unsaturated heterogeneous porous media, theory of related measurements, field and laboratory studies in subsurface hydrogeology, stochastic fields and processes, numerical and analytical methods and sensitivity analysis
- CEE 301L: Fluid Mechanics
- CEE 493: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 494: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 501: Applied Mathematics for Engineers
- CEE 683: Groundwater Hydrology and Contaminant Transport
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- EGR 206: Engineering Communication
- Kahler, DM; Kabala, ZJ, Acceleration of groundwater remediation by deep sweeps and vortex ejections induced by rapidly pulsed pumping, Water Resources Research, vol 52 no. 5 (2016), pp. 3930-3940 [10.1002/2015WR017157] [abs].
- Raanan, H; Vengosh, A; Paytan, A; Nishri, A; Kabala, Z, Quantifying saline groundwater flow into a freshwater lake using the Ra isotope quartet: A case study from the Sea of Galilee (Lake Kinneret), Israel, Limnology and oceanography, vol 54 no. 1 (2009), pp. 119-131 [abs].
- Krug, CT; Kabala, Z, Vadose zone transport of nitrate in the sierra pelona groundwater basin, Agua Dulce, California, Proceedings of World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2009 - World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2009: Great Rivers, vol 342 (2009), pp. 1814-1823 [10.1061/41036(342)181] [abs].
- Kabala, ZJ; El-Sayegh, HK, Transient flowmeter test: Simi-analytic crossflow model, Advances in Water Resources, vol 25 no. 1 (2002), pp. 103-121 [10.1016/S0309-1708(01)00013-6] [abs].
- Kabala, ZJ; El-Sayegh, HK; Gavin, HP, Sensitivity analysis of a no-crossflow model for the transient flowmeter test, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment, vol 16 no. 6 (2002), pp. 399-424 [10.1007/s00477-002-0113-5] [abs].