You are here
Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Wilkins Aquino obtained a BSCE from Purdue University, and a MS and PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Before joining the Duke Faculty, he was an associate professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Cornell University. He was also a member of the fields of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics and Applied Mathematics at Cornell.
Prof. Aquino has broad interests in computational mechanics, including finite element methods, computational inverse problems, uncertainty quantification, coupled chemo-mechanics, and computational acoustics, among others.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Anderson-Rupp Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in Head & Neck Surgery & Communication Sciences
- Professor of Mathematics
- Office Location: 309 Gross Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-1922
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, 2002
Computational mechanics, finite element methods, computational inverse problems and their applications in engineering and biomedicine, scientific computing, computational acoustics and acoustics-structure interaction, coupled chemo-mechanics (e.g., electrochemistry-mechanics).
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2012
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2007
- CEE 630: Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
- ME 490: Special Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 491: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 492: Special Projects in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 525: Nonlinear Finite Element Analysis
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- Chen, MJ; Sivakumar, K; Banyay, GA; Golchert, BM; Walsh, TF; Zavlanos, MM; Aquino, W, Bayesian Optimal Sensor Placement for Damage Detection in Frequency-Domain Dynamics, Journal of Engineering Mechanics, vol 148 no. 12 (2022) [10.1061/(ASCE)EM.1943-7889.0002162] [abs].
- Treweek, BC; Sanders, CM; Aquino, W; Walsh, TF, Optimization of Acoustic Channels to Minimize Scattered Pressure Fields, Journal of Theoretical and Computational Acoustics, vol 30 no. 3 (2022) [10.1142/S2591728522400072] [abs].
- Capriotti, M; Roy, T; Hugenberg, NR; Harrigan, H; Lee, H-C; Aquino, W; Guddati, M; Greenleaf, JF; Urban, MW, The influence of acoustic radiation force beam shape and location on wave spectral content for arterial dispersion ultrasound vibrometry., Physics in Medicine and Biology, vol 67 no. 13 (2022) [10.1088/1361-6560/ac75a7] [abs].
- Hobbs, KT; Choe, N; Aksenov, LI; Reyes, L; Aquino, W; Routh, JC; Hokanson, JA, Machine Learning for Urodynamic Detection of Detrusor Overactivity., Urology, vol 159 (2022), pp. 247-254 [10.1016/j.urology.2021.09.027] [abs].
- Sanders, C; Bonnet, M; Aquino, W, An adaptive eigenfunction basis strategy to reduce design dimension in topology optimization, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol 122 no. 24 (2021), pp. 7452-7481 [10.1002/nme.6837] [abs].