You are here
Paul Ruffin Scarborough Distinguished Associate Professor of Engineering
I am the director of the Vision and Image Processing (VIP) Laboratory. Along with my colleagues, we investigate how to improve early diagnostic methods and find new imaging biomarkers of ocular and neurological diseases in adults (e.g. age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, Glaucoma, Alzheimer) and children (e.g. retinopathy or prematurity). We also develop automatic artificial intelligence machine learning and deep learning algorithms to detect/segment/quantify anatomical/pathological structures seen on medical images.
On another front, we study efficient signal processing based methods to overcome the theoretical and practical limitations that constrain the achievable resolution of any imaging device. Our approach, which is based on adaptive extraction and robust fusion of relevant information from the expensive and sophisticated as well as simple and cheap sensors, has found wide applications in improving the quality of imaging systems such as ophthalmic SD-OCT, digital X-ray mammography, electronic and optical microscopes, and commercial digital camcorders. We are also interested in pursuing statistical signal processing based projects, including super-resolution, demosaicing, deblurring, denoising, motion estimation, compressive sensing/adaptive sampling, and sensor fusion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Paul Ruffin Scarborough Distinguished Associate Professor of Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology
- Associate Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Associate Professor of Computer Science
- Faculty Network Member of the Duke Institute for Brain Sciences
- Office Location: CIEMAS 2575, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 684-6642
- University of California at Los Angeles, 2007
- University of California at Los Angeles, 2005
Focused on medical imaging and machine learning to improve the overall health and vision outcome of patients with ocular and neurological diseases (e.g., age-related macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, Alzheimer, and ALS) through earlier and personalized therapy.
- BME 271: Signals and Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 544: Digital Image Processing (GE, IM)
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- AI Technique Opens Door for Accelerated Progress in Neuroscience Research (Mar 1, 2019)
- A smartphone and new software could help save infants born preterm (Nov 20, 2018)
- Handheld Probe Images Photoreceptors in Children (Aug 23, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Farsiu Receives Signal Processing Award (Sep 20, 2017)
- Farsiu Wins ARVO Foundation/Pfizer Ophthalmics Carl Camras Translational Research Award (Jan 19, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- New handheld device could allow for easy retina imaging in children (Aug 10, 2016 | WUNC)
- At Duke, sibling sleuths try to unlock mummy mystery (Mar 4, 2016 | The News & Observer)
- Eye test could detect dementia (Apr 29, 2015 | The Daily Mail, Australian Associated Press)
- Sina Farsiu: Biomedical Engineer Processes an Avalanche of Images (Aug 29, 2014)
- Duke Labs Produce 2 Intel Talent Search Finalists (Feb 10, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Schmidler, SC; Farsiu, S, Tree Topology Estimation., Ieee Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol 37 no. 8 (2015), pp. 1688-1701 [10.1109/TPAMI.2014.2382116] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Allingham, MJ; Mettu, PS; Cousins, SW; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Kernel regression based segmentation of optical coherence tomography images with diabetic macular edema., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 6 no. 4 (2015), pp. 1172-1194 [10.1364/BOE.6.001172] [abs].
- Polans, J; McNabb, RP; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Compressed wavefront sensing., Optics Letters, vol 39 no. 5 (2014), pp. 1189-1192 [10.1364/ol.39.001189] [abs].
- Srinivasan, PP; Heflin, SJ; Izatt, JA; Arshavsky, VY; Farsiu, S, Automatic segmentation of up to ten layer boundaries in SD-OCT images of the mouse retina with and without missing layers due to pathology., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 5 no. 2 (2014), pp. 348-365 [10.1364/BOE.5.000348] [abs].
- Fang, L; Li, S; McNabb, RP; Nie, Q; Kuo, AN; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Fast acquisition and reconstruction of optical coherence tomography images via sparse representation., Ieee Trans Med Imaging, vol 32 no. 11 (2013), pp. 2034-2049 [10.1109/TMI.2013.2271904] [abs].
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Cabrera, MT; Wallace, DK; Freedman, SF; Farsiu, S, Exploratory Dijkstra forest based automatic vessel segmentation: applications in video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO)., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 3 no. 2 (2012), pp. 327-339 [10.1364/BOE.3.000327] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Izatt, JA; O'Connell, RV; Winter, KP; Toth, CA; Farsiu, S, Validated automatic segmentation of AMD pathology including drusen and geographic atrophy in SD-OCT images., Investigative Opthalmology & Visual Science, vol 53 no. 1 (2012), pp. 53-61 [10.1167/iovs.11-7640] [abs].
- Estrada, R; Tomasi, C; Cabrera, MT; Wallace, DK; Freedman, SF; Farsiu, S, Enhanced video indirect ophthalmoscopy (VIO) via robust mosaicing., Biomedical Optics Express, vol 2 no. 10 (2011), pp. 2871-2887 [10.1364/BOE.2.002871] [abs].
- Robinson, MD; Toth, CA; Lo, JY; Farsiu, S, Efﬁcient fourier-wavelet super-resolution., Ieee Trans Image Process, vol 19 no. 10 (2010), pp. 2669-2681 [10.1109/TIP.2010.2050107] [abs].
- Chiu, SJ; Li, XT; Nicholas, P; Toth, CA; Izatt, JA; Farsiu, S, Automatic segmentation of seven retinal layers in SDOCT images congruent with expert manual segmentation., Optics Express, vol 18 no. 18 (2010), pp. 19413-19428 [10.1364/OE.18.019413] [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Christofferson, J; Eriksson, B; Milanfar, P; Friedlander, B; Shakouri, A; Nowak, R, Statistical detection and imaging of objects hidden in turbid media using ballistic photons., Applied Optics, vol 46 no. 23 (2007), pp. 5805-5822 [10.1364/ao.46.005805] [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Elad, M; Milanfar, P, Multiframe demosaicing and super-resolution of color images., Ieee Transactions on Image Processing : a Publication of the Ieee Signal Processing Society, vol 15 no. 1 (2006), pp. 141-159 [10.1109/tip.2005.860336] [abs].
- Farsiu, S; Robinson, MD; Elad, M; Milanfar, P, Fast and robust multiframe super resolution., Ieee Transactions on Image Processing : a Publication of the Ieee Signal Processing Society, vol 13 no. 10 (2004), pp. 1327-1344 [10.1109/tip.2004.834669] [abs].