You are here
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Neil Zhenqiang Gong joined Duke University in 2019. He is interested in cybersecurity and data privacy with a recent focus on the intersections between security, privacy, and machine learning. On one hand, he leverages machine learning techniques to study security and privacy. On the other hand, he builds secure and privacy-preserving machine learning. He is also interested in mobile and IoT security, privacy, and forensics. He received an NSF CAREER Award in 2018 as well as multiple best paper awards or nominations. He received a B.E. from the University of Science and Technology of China in 2010 (with the highest honor) and a Ph.D in Computer Science from the University of California at Berkeley in 2015. During 2015-2019, he was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Iowa State University.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Office Location: Box 90291, Durhamn, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5252
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D.Phil. University of California, Berkeley, 2015
- B.S.E. University of Science and Technology of China (China), 2010
Security, privacy, and machine learning.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Distinguished Paper Award Honorable Mention. NDSS. 2019
- Best Paper Award. SADFE. 2018
- CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2018
- Paper Selected for Fast Tracking. INFOCOM. 2017
- PNAS Paper Selected as "The Best Scientific Figures in 2012". WIRED. 2012
- Guo Moruo Scholarship. USTC. 2010
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 891: Internship
In the News
- New Faculty, Bold Thinking (Oct 15, 2019 | Duke Stories)
- Jia, J; Gong, NZ, Calibrate: Frequency Estimation and Heavy Hitter Identification with Local Differential Privacy via Incorporating Prior Knowledge, Ieee International Conference on Computer Communications (Infocom) (2019) [abs].
- Wang, B; Jia, J; Gong, NZ, Graph-based Security and Privacy Analytics via Collective Classification with Joint Weight Learning and Propagation, Isoc Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (Ndss) (2019) [abs].
- Fang, M; Yang, G; Gong, NZ; Liu, J, Poisoning Attacks to Graph-Based Recommender Systems, Proceedings of the 34th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (2018) [10.1145/3274694.3274706] [abs].
- Wang, B; Gong, NZ, Stealing Hyperparameters in Machine Learning, 2018 Ieee Symposium on Security and Privacy (Sp) (2018) [10.1109/sp.2018.00038] [abs].
- Cheng, CC-C; Shi, C; Gong, NZ; Guan, Y, EviHunter, Proceedings of the 2018 Acm Sigsac Conference on Computer and Communications Security (2018) [10.1145/3243734.3243808] [abs].