You are here
Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringDr. Maria Gorlatova's research is focused on reaching the next level of adaptive intelligent behavior in Internet of Things systems and applications. This research involves the development of architectures, algorithms, and protocols for emerging pervasive systems. It crosses traditional discipline boundaries and requires thinking across multiple layers of system and protocol stacks.
Dr. Gorlatova earned her Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Columbia University, and her M.Sc. and B.Sc. (Summa Cum Laude) degrees in Electrical Engineering from University of Ottawa, Canada. She has several years of industry experience, where she had been affiliated with Telcordia Technologies, IBM, and D. E. Shaw Research. She came to Duke from Princeton University, where she held the positions of an Associate Research Scholar in the Electrical Engineering Department and an Associate Director of the Princeton EDGE Lab.
Dr. Gorlatova is a recipient of the Google Anita Borg USA Fellowship, Canadian Graduate Scholar CGS NSERC Fellowships, the Columbia University Presidential Fellowship, and the Columbia University Jury Award for Outstanding Achievement in Communications. She is a co-recipient of the ACM SenSys Best Student Demonstration Award, the IEEE Communications Society Young Author Best Paper Award, and the IEEE Communications Society Award for Advances in Communications.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Computer Science
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Columbia University, 2013
- M.S. University of Ottawa (Canada), 2007
- B.S. University of Ottawa (Canada), 2004
Internet of Things; mobile systems; pervasive computing; edge computing; wireless and mobile networking
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Young Author Best Paper Award. IEEE Communications Society. 2016
- Jury Award for Outstanding Achievement in Communications. Columbia University Electrical Engineering Department. 2013
- Anita Borg USA Fellowship. Google. 2012
- Award for Advances in Communications. IEEE Communications Society. 2011
- Best Student Demonstration Award. ACM SenSys. 2011
- Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate CGS-D Scholarship. Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Canada. 2008
- Presidential Fellowship. Columbia University. 2008
- COMPSCI 590: Advanced Topics in Computer Science
- ECE 590: Advanced Topics in Electrical and Computer Engineering
- ECE 899: Special Readings in Electrical Engineering
In the News
- Augmented Reality, Fog, and Vision: Duke Professor Outlines Importance of Smart Architectures (Oct 2, 2018 | Network World )
- Maria Gorlatova: Creating an Intelligent Internet of Things (Sep 11, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- If Donald Trump Were Actually a Battery (May 18, 2017 | New Yorker )
- The OpenFog Reference Architecture: A Baseline for Interoperability in the IIoT Cloud-to-things Continuum (Mar 6, 2017 | Embedded Computing Design )
- The Internet of You (May 20, 2014 | MIT Technology Review )
- Ahn, S; Gorlatova, M; Chiang, M, Leveraging fog and cloud computing for efficient computational offloading, 2017 Ieee Mit Undergraduate Research Technology Conference, Urtc 2017, vol 2018-January (2018), pp. 1-4 [10.1109/URTC.2017.8284203] [abs].
- Chang, TC; Gitau, C; Zheng, L; Huang, CY; Gorlatova, M; Chiang, M, Demo Abstract: Decomposing Data Analytics in Fog Networks, Sensys 2017 Proceedings of the 15th Acm Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems, vol 2017-January (2017) [10.1145/3131672.3136962] [abs].
- Inaltekin, H; Gorlatova, M; Chiang, M, Virtualized Control over Fog: Interplay Between Reliability and Latency., CoRR, vol abs/1712.00100 (2017) [abs].
- Margolies, R; Kinget, P; Kymissis, I; Zussman, G; Gorlatova, M; Sarik, J; Stanje, G; Zhu, J; Miller, P; Szczodrak, M; Vigraham, B; Carloni, L, Energy-Harvesting Active Networked Tags (EnHANTs), ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, vol 11 no. 4 (2015), pp. 1-27 [10.1145/2831236] [abs].
- Gorlatova, M; Sarik, J; Grebla, G; Cong, M; Kymissis, I; Zussman, G, Movers and Shakers: Kinetic Energy Harvesting for the Internet of Things, Ieee Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol 33 no. 8 (2015), pp. 1624-1639 [10.1109/JSAC.2015.2391690] [abs].