You are here
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Dr. Deshusses' research interests are related to the design, analysis and application of remediation, waste to energy and decentralized sanitation processes. A current focus is on novel reactors and processes for air, water and solid wastes treatment. Applications include treatment of odors and air toxics, biogas production, and novel sanitation and treatment technologies. Research interests include bioenergy and waste to energy processes, biofilms, biomolecular techniques for monitoring microorganisms in complex environments, indoor air quality, advanced oxidation processes, nanosensors, and mathematical modeling of environmental processes.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Duke Kunshan University
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 127C Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5480
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, 1994
Design, analysis and application of remediation, waste-to-energy and decentralized sanitation processes, including novel reactors and processes for air, water and solid wastes treatment.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- AAAS Fellow. American Association for the Advancement of Science. 2006
- CEE 462L: Biological Principles in Environmental Engineering
- CEE 490: Special Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 493: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 562: Biological Processes in Environmental Engineering
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 780: Internship
In the News
- Reinventing the Toilet (Nov 5, 2018 | Duke Stories)
- Duke, RTI International Partner on Improved Global Sanitation (Aug 28, 2017)
- Energy Initiative Provides First Round of Research Seed Funding (Apr 16, 2014)
- Adventures in Synthetic Poop (Feb 6, 2014 | Duke Research Blog)
- Duke researchers design toilet that turns waste into drinking water (Jul 18, 2013 | WUNC Radio)
- López de León, LR; Deaton, KE; Deshusses, MA, Miniaturized Biotrickling Filters and Capillary Microbioreactors for Process Intensification of VOC Treatment with Intended Application to Indoor Air., Environmental Science & Technology, vol 53 no. 3 (2019), pp. 1518-1526 [10.1021/acs.est.8b05209] [abs].
- Farling, S; Rogers, T; Knee, JS; Tilley, EA; Brown, J; Deshusses, MA, Bioaerosol emissions associated with pit latrine emptying operations., The Science of the Total Environment, vol 648 (2019), pp. 1082-1086 [10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.08.147] [abs].
- Raut, AS; Parker, CB; Klem, EJD; Stoner, BR; Deshusses, MA; Glass, JT, Reduction in energy for electrochemical disinfection of E. coli in urine simulant., Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, vol 49 no. 5 (2019), pp. 443-453 [10.1007/s10800-019-01292-4] [abs].
- Thostenson, JO; Mourouvin, R; Hawkins, BT; Ngaboyamahina, E; Sellgren, KL; Parker, CB; Deshusses, MA; Stoner, BR; Glass, JT, Improved blackwater disinfection using potentiodynamic methods with oxidized boron-doped diamond electrodes., Water Research, vol 140 (2018), pp. 191-199 [10.1016/j.watres.2018.04.022] [abs].
- Forbis-Stokes, AA; Rocha-Melogno, L; Deshusses, MA, Nitrifying trickling filters and denitrifying bioreactors for nitrogen management of high-strength anaerobic digestion effluent., Chemosphere, vol 204 (2018), pp. 119-129 [10.1016/j.chemosphere.2018.03.137] [abs].