You are here
Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Manolis Veveakis earned a Ph.D. in 2010 from the Department of Mechanics of the National Technical University of Athens, Greece. Before joining Duke University, he was a Senior Lecturer at UNSW's School of Petroleum Engineering since 2014 and a Research Scientist in CSIRO's Division of Earth Sciences and Resource Engineering before that. Veveakis holds a Diploma (BSc+MEng) in Applied Mathematics and Physics (MEng in Materials Engineering), an MSc in Applied Mechanics and a PhD in Geomechanics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. National Technical University of Athens (Greece), 2010
Theoretical and applied mechanics, Geomechanics, Irreversible Thermodynamics. Emphasis on the multiphysical modelling of plasticity of solids, solid-fluid interactions, friction laws and rheology of geomaterials
- CEE 302L: Introduction to Soil Mechanics
- CEE 493: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 494: Research Independent Study in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- CEE 520: Continuum Mechanics
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
In the News
- Taking a Landslide’s Temperature to Avert Catastrophe (Jun 25, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Observing the Unobservable: Models Predict the Mechanical Origins of Earthquakes (Jan 17, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Rattez, H; Disidoro, F; Sulem, J; Veveakis, M, Influence of dissolution on long-term frictional properties of carbonate fault gouge, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 26 (2021) [10.1016/j.gete.2021.100234] [abs].
- Veveakis, M; Poulet, T, A note on the instability and pattern formation of shrinkage cracks in viscoplastic soils, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 25 (2021) [10.1016/j.gete.2020.100198] [abs].
- Lesueur, M; Poulet, T; Veveakis, M, Three-scale multiphysics finite element framework (FE3) modelling fault reactivation, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol 365 (2020) [10.1016/j.cma.2020.112988] [abs].
- Sari, M; Alevizos, S; Poulet, T; Lin, J; Veveakis, M, A visco-plastic framework for interface processes in sedimentary reservoir rocks at HPHT conditions, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 22 (2020) [10.1016/j.gete.2019.100165] [abs].
- Rattez, H; Veveakis, M, Weak phases production and heat generation control fault friction during seismic slip., Nature Communications, vol 11 no. 1 (2020) [10.1038/s41467-019-14252-5] [abs].