You are here
Kenneth C. Hall
Julian Francis Abele Distinguished Professor
Research Interests: Unsteady aerodynamics, structural dynamics, and aeroelasticity of turbomachinery and aerospace vehicles. Novel approaches to modelling complex physical phenomena using computational fluid dynamics. Optimization and sensitivity analysis. Optimal aerodynamics of flight vehicles and animal propulsion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Julian Francis Abele Distinguished Professor
- Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 184 Hudson Eng Ctr, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5328
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- D.Sc. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987
- M.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1981
Unsteady aerodynamics, structural dynamics, and aeroelasticity of turbomachinery and aerospace vehicles. Novel approaches to modeling complex physical phenomena using computational fluid dynamics. Optimization and sensitivity analysis. Fluid dynamics of animal propulsion.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Member. National Academy of Engineering. 2020
- Fellow. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. 2011
- Fellow. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2000
- ME 472: Aircraft Performance
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 671: Advanced Aerodynamics
- ME 672: Unsteady Aerodynamics
In the News
- The Sky's the Limit for Duke Engineers Designing the Safest, Most Cost-Efficient Aircraft and Turbomachinery (May 24, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hall Elected to National Academy of Engineering (Feb 11, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Professor Kenneth Hall Takes His Love of Aerodynamics and Aviation to the Skies (May 23, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Dowell, EH; Hall, K, Modeling of Fluid-Structure Interaction, vol 264 (2022), pp. 439-478 [10.1007/978-3-030-74236-2_9] [abs].
- Hall, K, Modern Analysis for Complex and Nonlinear Unsteady Flows in Turbomachinery, vol 264 (2022), pp. 591-616 [10.1007/978-3-030-74236-2_13] [abs].
- Hollenbach, R; Kielb, R; Hall, K, Extending a van der pol based reduced-order model for fluid-structure interaction applied to non-synchronous vibrations in turbomachinery, Proceedings of the Asme Turbo Expo, vol 2C-2021 (2021) [10.1115/GT2021-58965] [abs].
- Hall, KC; Coutier-Delgosha, O, Special issue on the 17th ISROMAC conference, Journal of Turbomachinery, vol 141 no. 2 (2019) [10.1115/1.4042566] [abs].
- Giovanetti, EB; Hall, KC, Minimum loss load, twist, and chord distributions for coaxial helicopters in hover, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol 62 no. 1 (2017) [10.4050/JAHS.62.012001] [abs].