You are here
Kenneth C. Hall
Julian Francis Abele Distinguished Professor
Research Interests: Unsteady aerodynamics, structural dynamics, and aeroelasticity of turbomachinery and aerospace vehicles. Novel approaches to modelling complex physical phenomena using computational fluid dynamics. Optimization and sensitivity analysis. Optimal aerodynamics of flight vehicles and animal propulsion.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Julian Francis Abele Distinguished Professor
- Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 184 Hudson Eng Ctr, Box 90300, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5328
- Email Address: email@example.com
- D.Sc. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1987
- M.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983
- B.S. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1981
Unsteady aerodynamics, structural dynamics, and aeroelasticity of turbomachinery and aerospace vehicles. Novel approaches to modeling complex physical phenomena using computational fluid dynamics. Optimization and sensitivity analysis. Fluid dynamics of animal propulsion.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Member. National Academy of Engineering. 2020
- Fellow. American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics. 2011
- Fellow. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. 2000
- ME 472: Aircraft Performance
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 671: Advanced Aerodynamics
- ME 672: Unsteady Aerodynamics
In the News
- The Sky's the Limit for Duke Engineers Designing the Safest, Most Cost-Efficient Aircraft and Turbomachinery (May 24, 2021 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hall Elected to National Academy of Engineering (Feb 11, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Professor Kenneth Hall Takes His Love of Aerodynamics and Aviation to the Skies (May 23, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Hall, KC; Coutier-Delgosha, O, Special issue on the 17th ISROMAC conference, Journal of Turbomachinery, vol 141 no. 2 (2019) [10.1115/1.4042566] [abs].
- Giovanetti, EB; Hall, KC, Minimum loss load, twist, and chord distributions for coaxial helicopters in hover, Journal of the American Helicopter Society, vol 62 no. 1 (2017) [10.4050/JAHS.62.012001] [abs].
- Giovanetti, EB; Hall, KC, Axisymmetric potential flow model of single or coaxial actuator disks, Annual Forum Proceedings Ahs International, vol 1 (2016), pp. 747-757 [abs].
- Hall, KC; Marpu, RP; Custer, CH; Venkataramanan, S; Weiss, JM, Comparison of Numerical Methods for the Prediction of Time-Averaged Flow Quantities in a Cooled Multistage Turbine, Asme Turbo Expo 2015: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition (2015), pp. V02CT44A028-V02CT44A028 [abs].
- Giovanetti, EB; Hall, KC, A variational approach to multipoint aerodynamic optimization of conventional and coaxial helicopter rotors, Annual Forum Proceedings Ahs International, vol 2 no. May (2015), pp. 752-764 [abs].