You are here
Professor of Biomedical Engineering
The Collier Lab designs biomaterials for a range of biomedical applications, with a focus on understanding and controlling adaptive immune responses. Most materials investigated are created from molecular assemblies- proteins, peptides or bioconjugates that self-organize into useful structures such as nanofibers, gels, and particles.
These biomaterials are being developed as novel treatments for infectious diseases, cancer, wound healing, and chronic inflammation. Additionally, as these strategies are developed, basic insights into how materials engage the immune system are uncovered.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in the Department of Immunology
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Northwestern University, 2003
The design of biomaterials for a range of biomedical applications, with a focus on understanding and controlling adaptive immune responses. Most materials investigated are created from molecular assemblies- proteins, peptides or bioconjugates that self-organize into useful structures such as nanofibers, gels, and particles.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering. AIMBE. 2017
- 2015 Biomaterials Science Lectureship. Royal Society of Chemistry Publishing. 2015
- Distinguished Investigator (junior). University of Chicago, Biological Science Division. 2012
- BME 221DL: Biomaterials
- BME 221L: Biomaterials
- BME 290L: Intermediate Topics with Lab (GE)
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 701S: BME Graduate Seminars
- BME 702S: BME Graduate Seminars
- BME 728S: Teaching Seminar for New Teaching Assistants
- BME 729S: Teaching seminar for repeat teaching assistants
- BME 789: Internship in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- BME 792: Continuation of Graduate Independent Study
In the News
- Six New Bass Fellows Honored for Excellence in Research and Outstanding Undergraduate Teaching (Jun 1, 2021)
- Joel Collier: Nudging Immunological Responses (Sep 23, 2015 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Nelson, C; Wu, Y; Gemberling, M; Oliver, M; Bohning, JD; Robinson-Hamm, JN; Bulaklak, K; Rivera, RMC; Collier, JH; Asokan, A; Gersbach, CA, Long-Term Evaluation of AAV-CRISPR Genome Editing for Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, Molecular Therapy, vol 27 no. 4 (2019), pp. 46-47 [abs].
- Nelson, CE; Wu, Y; Gemberling, MP; Oliver, ML; Waller, MA; Bohning, JD; Robinson-Hamm, JN; Bulaklak, K; Castellanos Rivera, RM; Collier, JH; Asokan, A; Gersbach, CA, Long-term evaluation of AAV-CRISPR genome editing for Duchenne muscular dystrophy., Nat Med, vol 25 no. 3 (2019), pp. 427-432 [10.1038/s41591-019-0344-3] [abs].
- Hainline, KM; Gu, F; Handley, JF; Tian, YF; Wu, Y; de Wet, L; Vander Griend, DJ; Collier, JH, Self-Assembling Peptide Gels for 3D Prostate Cancer Spheroid Culture., Macromolecular Bioscience, vol 19 no. 1 (2019) [10.1002/mabi.201800249] [abs].
- Si, Y; Wen, Y; Kelly, SH; Chong, AS; Collier, JH, Intranasal delivery of adjuvant-free peptide nanofibers elicits resident CD8+ T cell responses., Journal of Controlled Release : Official Journal of the Controlled Release Society, vol 282 (2018), pp. 120-130 [10.1016/j.jconrel.2018.04.031] [abs].
- Hainline, KM; Fries, CN; Collier, JH, Progress Toward the Clinical Translation of Bioinspired Peptide and Protein Assemblies., Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol 7 no. 5 (2018) [10.1002/adhm.201700930] [abs].
- Si, Y; Wen, Y; Chen, J; Pompano, RR; Han, H; Collier, J; Chong, AS, MyD88 in antigen-presenting cells is not required for CD4+ T-cell responses during peptide nanofiber vaccination., Medchemcomm, vol 9 no. 1 (2018), pp. 138-148 [10.1039/c7md00367f] [abs].
- Solano, CM; Wen, Y; Han, H; Collier, JH, Practical Considerations in the Design and Use of Immunologically Active Fibrillar Peptide Assemblies., Methods in Molecular Biology (Clifton, N.J.), vol 1777 (2018), pp. 233-248 [10.1007/978-1-4939-7811-3_14] [abs].
- Wu, Y; Norberg, PK; Reap, EA; Congdon, KL; Fries, CN; Kelly, SH; Sampson, JH; Conticello, VP; Collier, JH, A Supramolecular Vaccine Platform Based on α-Helical Peptide Nanofibers., Acs Biomaterials Science & Engineering, vol 3 no. 12 (2017), pp. 3128-3132 [10.1021/acsbiomaterials.7b00561] [abs].
- Mora-Solano, C; Wen, Y; Han, H; Chen, J; Chong, AS; Miller, ML; Pompano, RR; Collier, JH, Active immunotherapy for TNF-mediated inflammation using self-assembled peptide nanofibers., Biomaterials, vol 149 (2017), pp. 1-11 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2017.09.031] [abs].
- Kelly, SH; Shores, LS; Votaw, NL; Collier, JH, Biomaterial strategies for generating therapeutic immune responses., Advanced Drug Delivery Reviews, vol 114 (2017), pp. 3-18 [10.1016/j.addr.2017.04.009] [abs].
- Wu, Y; Collier, JH, α-Helical coiled-coil peptide materials for biomedical applications., Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews. Nanomedicine and Nanobiotechnology, vol 9 no. 2 (2017) [10.1002/wnan.1424] [abs].
- Wen, Y; Waltman, A; Han, H; Collier, JH, Switching the Immunogenicity of Peptide Assemblies Using Surface Properties., Acs Nano, vol 10 no. 10 (2016), pp. 9274-9286 [10.1021/acsnano.6b03409] [abs].
- Vigneswaran, Y; Han, H; De Loera, R; Wen, Y; Zhang, X; Sun, T; Mora-Solano, C; Collier, JH, This paper is the winner of an SFB Award in the Hospital Intern, Residency category: Peptide biomaterials raising adaptive immune responses in wound healing contexts., Journal of Biomedical Materials Research. Part A, vol 104 no. 8 (2016), pp. 1853-1862 [10.1002/jbm.a.35767] [abs].
- Sun, T; Han, H; Hudalla, GA; Wen, Y; Pompano, RR; Collier, JH, Thermal stability of self-assembled peptide vaccine materials., Acta Biomaterialia, vol 30 (2016), pp. 62-71 [10.1016/j.actbio.2015.11.019] [abs].
- Wen, Y; Collier, JH, Supramolecular peptide vaccines: tuning adaptive immunity., Current Opinion in Immunology, vol 35 (2015), pp. 73-79 [10.1016/j.coi.2015.06.007] [abs].
- Pompano, RR; Chen, J; Verbus, EA; Han, H; Fridman, A; McNeely, T; Collier, JH; Chong, AS, Titrating T-cell epitopes within self-assembled vaccines optimizes CD4+ helper T cell and antibody outputs., Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol 3 no. 11 (2014), pp. 1898-1908 [10.1002/adhm.201400137] [abs].
- Hudalla, GA; Sun, T; Gasiorowski, JZ; Han, H; Tian, YF; Chong, AS; Collier, JH, Gradated assembly of multiple proteins into supramolecular nanomaterials., Nature Materials, vol 13 no. 8 (2014), pp. 829-836 [10.1038/nmat3998] [abs].
- Mora-Solano, C; Collier, JH, Engaging adaptive immunity with biomaterials., J. Mater. Chem. B, vol 2 no. 17 (2014), pp. 2409-2421 [10.1039/c3tb21549k] [abs].
- Chen, J; Pompano, RR; Santiago, FW; Maillat, L; Sciammas, R; Sun, T; Han, H; Topham, DJ; Chong, AS; Collier, JH, The use of self-adjuvanting nanofiber vaccines to elicit high-affinity B cell responses to peptide antigens without inflammation., Biomaterials, vol 34 no. 34 (2013), pp. 8776-8785 [10.1016/j.biomaterials.2013.07.063] [abs].
- Tian, YF; Hudalla, GA; Han, H; Collier, JH, Controllably degradable β-sheet nanofibers and gels from self-assembling depsipeptides., Biomaterials Science, vol 1 no. 10 (2013) [10.1039/c3bm60161g] [abs].
- Hudalla, GA; Modica, JA; Tian, YF; Rudra, JS; Chong, AS; Sun, T; Mrksich, M; Collier, JH, A self-adjuvanting supramolecular vaccine carrying a folded protein antigen., Advanced Healthcare Materials, vol 2 no. 8 (2013), pp. 1114-1119 [10.1002/adhm.201200435] [abs].
- Jung, JP; Moyano, JV; Collier, JH, Multifactorial optimization of endothelial cell growth using modular synthetic extracellular matrices., Integrative Biology : Quantitative Biosciences From Nano to Macro, vol 3 no. 3 (2011), pp. 185-196 [10.1039/c0ib00112k] [abs].
- Rudra, JS; Tian, YF; Jung, JP; Collier, JH, A self-assembling peptide acting as an immune adjuvant., Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, vol 107 no. 2 (2010), pp. 622-627 [10.1073/pnas.0912124107] [abs].