You are here
Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Iman Marvian completed his PhD in Physics in October 2012 at the University of Waterloo and Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ontario. He worked at the University of Southern California (Nov 2012-Aug 2015) and MIT (Sept 2015-Dec 2017) as postdoctoral researcher.
His main research interest is quantum information and computation theory. He has worked on a wide range of topics in this field, including quantum algorithms, quantum error suppression, open quantum systems, quantum resource theories and quantum thermodynamics. Also, he is very interested in finding applications for ideas and techniques developed in quantum information theory in the rest of physics.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Physics
- Office Location: 186 Physics Bldg., Box 90305, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-2903
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. University of Waterloo (Canada), 2012
Quantum information and computation theory
- ECE 523: Quantum Information Science
- PHYSICS 493: Research Independent Study
- PHYSICS 495: Thesis Independent Study
- PHYSICS 627: Quantum Information Science
- Rebentrost, P; Steffens, A; Marvian, I; Lloyd, S, Quantum singular-value decomposition of nonsparse low-rank matrices, Physical Review A, vol 97 no. 1 (2018) [10.1103/PhysRevA.97.012327] [abs].
- Steffens, A; Rebentrost, P; Marvian, I; Eisert, J; Lloyd, S, An efficient quantum algorithm for spectral estimation, New Journal of Physics, vol 19 no. 3 (2017), pp. 033005-033005 [10.1088/1367-2630/aa5e48] [abs].
- Marvian, I, Symmetry-protected topological entanglement, Physical Review B, vol 95 no. 4 (2017) [10.1103/PhysRevB.95.045111] [abs].
- Marvian, I; Spekkens, RW, How to quantify coherence: Distinguishing speakable and unspeakable notions, Physical Review A, vol 94 no. 5 (2016) [10.1103/PhysRevA.94.052324] [abs].
- Marvian, I; Spekkens, RW; Zanardi, P, Quantum speed limits, coherence, and asymmetry, Physical Review A, vol 93 no. 5 (2016) [10.1103/PhysRevA.93.052331] [abs].