You are here
Gregg E. Trahey
Robert Plonsey Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering
My laboratory develops and evaluates novel ultrasonic imaging methods. Current projects involve high resolutioon imaging of the breast and mechanical characterization of the breast and cardiovascular system. We conduct phantom, animal, ex vivo and in vivo trials. Current clinical trials involve imaging of soft and hard vascular plaques and mecahnical imaging of breast lesions.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Robert Plonsey Distinguished Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Professor in Radiology
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 275 Engineering Annex, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5169
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Duke University, 1985
- M.S. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1979
- B.S. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1975
Medical ultrasound, image guided surgery, adaptive imaging, imaging of tissue's mechanical properties, and radiation force imaging.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). 2022
- MERIT Award. National Institutes of Health. 2009
- Fellows. American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering. 1999
- BME 354L: Introduction to Medical Instrumentation
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 542: Principles of Ultrasound Imaging (GE, IM)
- BME 844: Advanced Ultrasonic Imaging
- BME 848L: Radiology in Practice
- MEDPHY 738: Radiology in Practice
In the News
- Gregg Trahey Named a Fellow of IEEE (Jan 20, 2022 | Duke Engineering News)
- Meet Duke BME’s Innovative Ultrasound Trio (Oct 8, 2021 | Duke BME Magazine)
- Making the Next Wave of Imaging Tools for Cancer Diagnosis (May 9, 2019 | Duke Engineering News)
- Long, J; Trahey, G; Bottenus, N, Spatial Coherence in Medical Ultrasound: A Review., Ultrasound in Medicine & Biology, vol 48 no. 6 (2022), pp. 975-996 [10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2022.01.009] [abs].
- Ahmed, R; Bottenus, N; Long, J; Trahey, GE, Reverberation Clutter Suppression Using 2-D Spatial Coherence Analysis., Ieee Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol 69 no. 1 (2022), pp. 84-97 [10.1109/tuffc.2021.3108059] [abs].
- Offerdahl, K; Huber, M; Long, W; Bottenus, N; Nelson, R; Trahey, G, Occult Regions of Suppressed Coherence in Liver B-Mode Images., Ultrasound Med Biol, vol 48 no. 1 (2022), pp. 47-58 [10.1016/j.ultrasmedbio.2021.09.007] [abs].
- Long, J; Bottenus, N; Trahey, GE, Frequency-Dependent Spatial Coherence in Conventional and Chirp Transmissions., Ieee Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, vol 68 no. 5 (2021), pp. 1707-1720 [10.1109/tuffc.2021.3050120] [abs].
- Bottenus, N; LeFevre, M; Cleve, J; Crowley, AL; Trahey, G, Resolution and Speckle Reduction in Cardiac Imaging., Ieee Trans Ultrason Ferroelectr Freq Control, vol 68 no. 4 (2021), pp. 1131-1143 [10.1109/TUFFC.2020.3034518] [abs].