You are here
Eric S Richardson
Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Eric Richardson is an Associate Professor of the Practice in Biomedical Engineering at Duke University and the Director of Duke Design Health. His research and teaching interests focus on medical device design and innovation in global markets. Richardson recently transitioned from Rice University, where he was the Founding Director of the Global Medical Innovation Program, which develops and implements medical technology in emerging markets. He was also the Associate Director of the Texas Medical Center Biodesign Fellowship, a program that offers venture formation curriculum to create digital health and medical device startups. Prior to Rice, he was a Principal R&D Engineer at Medtronic in California, where he developed transcatheter heart valves that currently serve over 500,000 patients worldwide. Richardson has several publications, patents and book chapters related to cardiac medical devices, and is involved with several startups.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Affiliate, Duke Global Health Institute
- Ph.D. University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, 2009
Medical Device Design, Design Ethnography, Design Pedagogy, Global Health Technologies, Entrepreneurship.
- BME 464L: Medical Instrument Design (DR)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- BME 790: Advanced Topics for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 790L: Advanced Topics with the Lab for Graduate Students in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- CULANTH 590: Selected Topics
- I&E 393: Research Independent Study in Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- I&E 720: Design in Healthcare 1
- I&E 721: Design in Healthcare 2
- I&E 790: Special Topics
- I&E 790L: Special Topics
- INTERDIS 407C: Duke Design Health Fellows Program
- STRATEGY 898: Special Topics
In the News
- Designing Better Healthcare at Duke (Aug 11, 2020)
- Solving Pressing Challenges: 3D Printing of Medical Grade Face Shields (Apr 2, 2020)
- Eric Richardson: Creating New Opportunities through Engineering Design (Sep 11, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Iles, TL; Howard, B; Howard, S; Quallich, S; Rolfes, C; Richardson, E; Iaizzo, HR; Iaizzo, PA, Testing the Efficacy of Pharmacological Agents in a Pericardial Target Delivery Model in the Swine., Journal of Visualized Experiments : Jove no. 113 (2016) [10.3791/52600] [abs].
- Richardson, ES; Hill, AJ; Skadsberg, ND; Ujhelyi, M; Xiao, YF; Iaizzo, PA, The pericardium (2015), pp. 163-174 [10.1007/978-3-319-19464-6_9] [abs].
- Ahlberg, SE; Bateman, MG; Eggen, MD; Quill, JL; Richardson, ES; Iaizzo, PA, Animal models for cardiac valve research (2013), pp. 343-357 [10.1007/978-1-4614-6144-9_14] [abs].
- Richardson, ES; Rolfes, C; Woo, OS; Elmquist, WF; Benditt, DG; Iaizzo, PA, Cardiac responses to the intrapericardial delivery of metoprolol: targeted delivery compared to intravenous administration., Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, vol 5 no. 4 (2012), pp. 535-540 [10.1007/s12265-011-9315-x] [abs].
- Richardson, ES; Iaizzo, PA; Xiao, Y-F, Electrophysiological mechanisms of the anti-arrhythmic effects of omega-3 fatty acids., Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research, vol 4 no. 1 (2011), pp. 42-52 [10.1007/s12265-010-9243-1] [abs].