You are here
Simon Family Distinguished Professor
David Mitzi received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Engineering Physics from Princeton University in 1985 and his Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Stanford University in 1990. Prior to joining the faculty at Duke in 2014, Dr. Mitzi spent 23 years at IBM’s T.J. Watson Research Center, where his focus was on the search for and application of new electronic materials, including organic-inorganic perovskites and inorganic materials for photovoltaic, LED, transistor and memory applications. For his final five years at IBM, he served as manager for the Photovoltaic Science and Technology Department, where he initiated and managed a multi-company program to develop a low-cost, high-throughput approach to deposit thin-film chalcogenide-based absorber layers for high-efficiency solar cells. Dr. Mitzi’s current research interests involve making emerging photovoltaic materials more effective, cost-efficient and competitive for the energy market. He holds a number of patents, and has authored or coauthored more than 200 papers and book chapters.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Simon Family Distinguished Professor
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: Box 90300 Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708-0300
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5356
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 1990
- B.S. Princeton University, 1985
Making emerging photovoltaic materials more effective, cost-efficient and competitive for the energy market.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- ACS Award in the Chemistry of Materials. American Chemical Society. 2020
- Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher . Clarivate Analytics. 2020
- Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher. Clarivate Analytics. 2019
- Clarivate Analytics Highly Cited Researcher. Clarivate Analytics. 2018
- MRS Fellow. Materials Research Society. 2018
- ME 394: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 493: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 494: Engineering Undergraduate Fellows Projects
- ME 516: Thin-Film Photovoltaic Technology
- ME 555: Advanced Topics in Mechanical Engineering
- ME 591: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- ME 592: Research Independent Study in Mechanical Engineering or Material Science
- MSEG 591: Independent Study
In the News
- Chiral Ingredients Split Electron Spins in Hybrid Semiconductors (Oct 13, 2020 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Six Duke Engineers Among Global Highly Cited (Nov 20, 2019 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Global List of Highly Cited Puts Duke in Top Ten (Nov 19, 2019)
- Professors, Alumna Honored by American Chemical Society (Aug 27, 2019)
- Duke Faculty Plentiful On ‘Highly Cited’ List (Nov 27, 2018)
- Supercomputer Predicts Optical and Thermal Properties of Complex Hybrid Materials (Oct 8, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Pratt Researchers Join National Effort to Unlock New Energy Technologies (Aug 23, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Duke Engineers Join National Center on Emerging Energy Materials (Aug 21, 2018)
- Mitzi Elected to Materials Research Society Fellows (Feb 10, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Laser Evaporation Technology to Create New Solar Materials (Jan 3, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Energy Initiative Awards Seven New Seed Grants (Apr 28, 2017)
- Duke Awards Distinguished Professorships, Inducts New Bass Society Members (May 5, 2016)
- Duke Initiative Brings a Lot of Energy to Research (May 7, 2015 | Duke Research Blog)
- Mitzi Awarded SunShot Initiative Funding to Improve Thin-Film Solar Cell Materials (Oct 23, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- David Mitzi: Harvesting More of the Sun’s Shine (Aug 18, 2014 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Almora, O; Baran, D; Bazan, GC; Berger, C; Cabrera, CI; Catchpole, KR; Erten-Ela, S; Guo, F; Hauch, J; Ho-Baillie, AWY; Jacobsson, TJ; Janssen, RAJ; Kirchartz, T; Kopidakis, N; Li, Y; Loi, MA; Lunt, RR; Mathew, X; McGehee, MD; Min, J; Mitzi, DB; Nazeeruddin, MK; Nelson, J; Nogueira, AF; Paetzold, UW; Park, NG; Rand, BP; Rau, U; Snaith, HJ; Unger, E; Vaillant-Roca, L; Yip, HL; Brabec, CJ, Device Performance of Emerging Photovoltaic Materials (Version 2), Advanced Energy Materials, vol 11 no. 48 (2021) [10.1002/aenm.202102526] [abs].
- Kim, Y; Hempel, H; Levcenco, S; Euvrard, J; Bergmann, E; Gunawan, O; Unold, T; Hill, IG; Mitzi, DB, Optoelectronic property comparison for isostructural Cu2BaGeSe4and Cu2BaSnS4solar absorbers, Journal of Materials Chemistry A, vol 9 no. 41 (2021), pp. 23619-23630 [10.1039/d1ta05666b] [abs].
- Levcenko, S; Teymur, B; Mitzi, DB; Unold, T, Photoluminescence study of solution-deposited Cu2BaSnS4thin films, Apl Materials, vol 9 no. 11 (2021) [10.1063/5.0061229] [abs].
- Kim, Y; Mitzi, DB, Growth and Photovoltaic Device Application of Cu2BaGe1- xSnxSe4Films Prepared by Selenization of Sequentially Deposited Precursors, Acs Applied Energy Materials, vol 4 no. 10 (2021), pp. 11528-11536 [10.1021/acsaem.1c02259] [abs].
- Yan, L; Jana, MK; Sercel, PC; Mitzi, DB; You, W, Alkyl-Aryl Cation Mixing in Chiral 2D Perovskites., Journal of the American Chemical Society (2021) [10.1021/jacs.1c06841] [abs].