You are here
Daniel J. Sorin
Professor of Electrical and Computer EngineeringDr. Daniel Sorin is the W.H. Gardner Jr. professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering and of Computer Science. His research interests are primarily in computer architecture and dependability.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Addy Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor in the Department of Computer Science
- Office Location: 209C Hudson Hall, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5439
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 2002
- M.S. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 1998
- B.S. Duke University, 1996
The primary focus of my research is computer architecture. This research includes work to: improve the dependability of computer architectures, design microarchitectures such that their designs are easier to validate, and develop memory system designs for multicore processors.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Program Chair of HiPEAC 2017. HiPEAC. 2017
- Co-chair of selection committee for IEEE Micro's Top Picks 2016. IEEE Micro. 2016
- Associate Editor in Chief. Computer Architecture Letters. 2015
- IEEE Micro Top Pick. IEEE Micro. 2015
- Best Paper Award. 20th International Symposium on High Performance Computer Architecture. 2014
- IEEE Micro Top Pick. IEEE Micro. 2011
- Lois and John L. Imhoff Distinguished Teaching Award. Pratt School of Engineering. 2011
- ACM Senior Member. Association for Computing Machinery. 2009
- Eta Kappa Nu. Unknown. 2008
- Intel Graduate Fellowship. Unknown. 2008
- NSF Early CAREER Award. National Science Foundation. 2008
- Outstanding Graduate Research Award. University of Wisconsin. 2008
- Phi Beta Kappa. Unknown. 2008
- Tau Beta Pi. Unknown. 2008
- Top of 2004 - Nanocomputing Research. Technology Research News. 2008
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2005
- COMPSCI 250D: Computer Architecture
- COMPSCI 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 250D: Computer Architecture
- ECE 350L: Digital Systems
- ECE 552: Advanced Computer Architecture I
- ECE 554: Fault-Tolerant and Testable Computer Systems
- Mappouras, G; Vahid, A; Calderbank, R; Hower, DR; Sorin, DJ, Jenga: Efficient fault tolerance for stacked DRAM, Proceedings - 35th IEEE International Conference on Computer Design, ICCD 2017 (2017), pp. 361-368 [10.1109/ICCD.2017.62] [abs].
- Matthews, O; Sorin, DJ, Architecting hierarchical coherence protocols for push-button parametric verification, Micro -Annual Workshop then Annual International Symposium-, vol Part F131207 (2017), pp. 477-489 [10.1145/3123939.3123971] [abs].
- Matthews, O; Bingham, J; Sorin, DJ, Verifiable hierarchical protocols with network invariants on parametric systems, Proceedings of the 16th Conference on Formal Methods in Computer-Aided Design, FMCAD 2016 (2017), pp. 101-108 [10.1109/FMCAD.2016.7886667] [abs].
- Sorin, DJ, Persistent Memory, Computer, vol 50 no. 3 (2017), pp. 12-12 [10.1109/MC.2017.67] [abs].
- Murray, S; Floyd-Jones, W; Qi, Y; Konidaris, G; Sorin, DJ, The microarchitecture of a real-Time robot motion planning accelerator, Micro -Annual Workshop then Annual International Symposium-, vol 2016-December (2016) [10.1109/MICRO.2016.7783748] [abs].