You are here
Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
Chuan-Hua Chen's research interests lie in experimental and theoretical investigations of small-scale physicochemical hydrodynamics, where transport and interfacial phenomena closely interact with each other.
By manipulating surface tension actively and passively, e.g. using electric fields and surface structures, we are developing innovative solutions for applications ranging from bioanalytical assays to microelectronics cooling.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering & Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 178 Hudson Hall, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Durham, NC 27708-0300
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5343
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. Stanford University, 2004
Experimental and theoretical research coupling physicochemical hydrodynamics with interfacial engineering
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2009
- ME 431L: Heat and Mass Transfer
- ME 631: Intermediate Fluid Mechanics
- MENG 550: Master of Engineering Internship/Project
- MENG 551: Master of Engineering Internship/Project Assessment
In the News
- Dancing Droplets Launch Themselves from Thin Fibers (Aug 17, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Fungi Physics: How Those Spores Launch Just Right (Jul 27, 2017 | The New York Times)
- Fungal Spores Harness Physics to Launch Themselves (Jul 26, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Jumping Droplets Whisk Away Hotspots in Electronics (Apr 3, 2017 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- Bouncing nano-droplets remove contaminants (Jul 8, 2016 | Digital Journal)
- Guo, HA; Maheshwari, S; Patel, MS; Bhatt, EC; Chen, CH, Droplet actuation on superhydrophobic substrates via electric field gradients, Applied Physics Letters, vol 114 no. 11 (2019) [10.1063/1.5080241] [abs].
- Guo, HA; Wiedenheft, KF; Chen, CH, Hotspot Size Effect on Conductive Heat Spreading, Ieee Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, vol 7 no. 9 (2017), pp. 1459-1464 [10.1109/TCPMT.2017.2704419] [abs].
- Liu, F; Chavez, RL; Patek, SN; Pringle, A; Feng, JJ; Chen, C-H, Asymmetric drop coalescence launches fungal ballistospores with directionality., Journal of the Royal Society, Interface, vol 14 no. 132 (2017) [10.1098/rsif.2017.0083] [abs].
- Wiedenheft, KF; Guo, HA; Qu, X; Boreyko, JB; Liu, F; Zhang, K; Eid, F; Choudhury, A; Li, Z; Chen, CH, Hotspot cooling with jumping-drop vapor chambers, Applied Physics Letters, vol 110 no. 14 (2017) [10.1063/1.4979477] [abs].
- Chavez, RL; Liu, F; Feng, JJ; Chen, C-H, Capillary-inertial colloidal catapults upon drop coalescence., Applied Physics Letters, vol 109 no. 1 (2016) [10.1063/1.4955085] [abs].