You are here
L. Catherine Brinson
Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Office Location: 3379 CIEMAS, Duke Campus, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-3933
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 1990
- M.S. California Institute of Technology, 1986
Professor L. Catherine Brinson's research interests lie in the study of advanced material systems and developing new methods to characterize and to model material behavior. Her lab’s research objective is to characterize and model advanced materials systems, at scales spanning the range of molecular interactions, micromechanical and macroscopic behavior.
- BME 526: Elasticity (GE, BB)
- CEE 521: Elasticity (GE, BB)
In the News
- Catherine Brinson: Finding Hard Answers for Soft Matter (Aug 25, 2017)
- Paul, PP; Paranjape, HM; Amin-Ahmadi, B; Stebner, AP; Dunand, DC; Brinson, LC, Effect of machined feature size relative to the microstructural size on the superelastic performance in polycrystalline NiTi shape memory alloys, Materials Science and Engineering: A, vol 706 (2017), pp. 227-235 [10.1016/j.msea.2017.09.016] [abs].
- Huang, Y; Zhao, H; Wang, Y; Ratcliff, T; Breneman, C; Brinson, LC; Chen, W; Schadler, LS, Predicting the breakdown strength and lifetime of nanocomposites using a multi-scale modeling approach, Journal of Applied Physics, vol 122 no. 6 (2017), pp. 065101-065101 [10.1063/1.4997720] [abs].
- Zhang, M; Askar, S; Torkelson, JM; Brinson, LC, Stiffness Gradients in Glassy Polymer Model Nanocomposites: Comparisons of Quantitative Characterization by Fluorescence Spectroscopy and Atomic Force Microscopy, Macromolecules, vol 50 no. 14 (2017), pp. 5447-5458 [10.1021/acs.macromol.7b00917] [abs].
- Bessa, M; Bostanabad, R; Liu, Z; Hu, A; Apley, DW; Brinson, C; Chen, W; Liu, W, A framework for data-driven analysis of materials under uncertainty: Countering the curse of dimensionality, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol 320 (2017), pp. 633-667 [10.1016/j.cma.2017.03.037] [abs].
- Paranjape, HM; Paul, PP; Sharma, H; Kenesei, P; Park, J-S; Duerig, T; Brinson, LC; Stebner, AP, Influences of granular constraints and surface effects on the heterogeneity of elastic, superelastic, and plastic responses of polycrystalline shape memory alloys, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, vol 102 (2017), pp. 46-66 [10.1016/j.jmps.2017.02.007] [abs].