You are here
Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
Ann Saterbak is director of the Duke Engineering First-Year Experience and a professor of the practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering. She is a nationally recognized engineering educator with a focus on creating undergraduate programs that broaden students problem solving skills through real-world problems, inquiry-based learning, and hands-on experiences. In fall 2017, she launched a new hands-on design course for first-year Pratt students.
Before coming to Duke, she was the associate dean for engineering education and full teaching professor in bioengineering in the George R. Brown School of Engineering at Rice University. At Rice, she launched a successful first-year engineering design course in which students solved community-based, client-driven problems and built physical prototypes. Her outstanding teaching at Rice was recognized by four university-wide teaching awards. She is the lead author of the textbook Bioengineering Fundamentals.
For her contribution to education within biomedical engineering, she was elected a fellow in the Biomedical Engineering Society and the American Society of Engineering Education. Saterbak has been a frequent presenter of educational materials at annual ASEE and BMES conferences. In building the undergraduate bioengineering laboratory at Rice, she applied four years of industry experience working at the Shell Development Company.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of the Practice in the Department of Biomedical Engineering
- Director of the Duke Engineering First Year Experience
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. University of Illinois -- Urbana-Champaign, 1995
Innovations in undergraduate engineering education, particularly new pedagogical methods that broaden students’ problem solving skills and design thinking.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Fellow. American Institute of Medicine and Biology. 2015
- Nicolas Salgo Distinguished Teacher Award. Rice University. 2015
- Fellow. American Society of Engineering Education. 2014
- George R. Brown Award for Superior Teaching. Rice University. 2013
- Theo C. Pilkington Outstanding Educator Award. ASEE BED National Award. 2013
- Fellow. Biomedical Engineering Society. 2012
- George R. Brown Prize for Excellence in Teaching. Rice University. 2011
- Robert G. Quinn Award for Excellence in Laboratory Instruction. ASEE National Award. 2007
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- EGR 101L: Engineering Design and Communication
- EGR 190: Special Topics in Engineering
- EGR 190L: Special Topics in Engineering with Lab Component
In the News
- In This Class, a Hands-on Approach to the Engineering Design Process (Jun 1, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering)
- New First-Year Design Course, Space Debut (Aug 24, 2017)
- Saterbak to Lead Redesign of Pratt First-Year Experience (Apr 10, 2017)
- Beier, ME; Kim, MH; Saterbak, A; Leautaud, V; Bishnoi, S; Gilberto, JM, The effect of authentic project-based learning on attitudes and career aspirations in STEM, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, vol 56 no. 1 (2019), pp. 3-23 [10.1002/tea.21465] [abs].
- Pearson, YE; Phillips, CML; Beier, ME; Gilberto, J; Mattingly, SP; Saterbak, A; Sheng, Y; Shethia, AK; Sun, R, Evaluating the quality of project summaries for S-STEM proposals, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2018-June (2018) [abs].
- Petney, M; Ng'anjo, SG; Phiri, JC; Wettergreen, M; Saterbak, A, Transformation of design instruction in a low-resource setting, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2018-June (2018) [abs].
- Bradford, B; Beier, ME; Saterbak, A; McSpedon, M; Wolf, M; Kincaid, K, Examining first-year chemistry outcomes of underprepared STEM students who completed a STEM summer academic bridge program, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2018-June (2018) [abs].
- Daniels, J; Sanlillan, ST; Saterbak, A, Tracking skills development and self-efficacy in a new first-year engineering design course, Asee Annual Conference and Exposition, Conference Proceedings, vol 2018-June (2018) [abs].