You are here
Assistant Professor of Biomedical EngineeringMy research in biomedical simulation and high performance computing focuses on the development of new computational tools that we use to provide insight into the localization and development of human diseases ranging from atherosclerosis to cancer.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Assistant Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Assistant Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering and Material Science
- Assistant Professor of Computer Science
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics
- Member of the Duke Cancer Institute
- Office Location: 301 Gross Hall, 140 Science Dr., Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5425
- Email Address: email@example.com
- Ph.D. Harvard University, 2013
Randle's research in biomedical simulation and high performance computing focuses on the development of new computational tools that she uses to provide insight into the localization and development of human diseases ranging from atherosclerosis to cancer.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- IEEE-CS Technical Consortium on High Performance Computing (TCHPC) Award for Excellence for Early Career Researchers in High Performance Computing. IEEE. 2017
- MIT TR35 Visionary. MIT TR35. 2017
- Ralph E. Powe Junior Faculty Enhancement Award. Oak Ridge Associated Universities. 2016
- Best Paper, IEEE International Conference on Computational Science (ICCS) 2015. IEEE. 2015
- Gordon Bell Finalist. ACM. 2015
- Early Independence Award. NIH. 2014
- Lawrence Fellowship. Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. 2013
- U.S. Delegate . Heidelberg Laureate Forum. 2013
- Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship. Google. 2012
- George Michael Memorial High Performance Computing Fellowship. ACM/IEEE. 2012
- U.S. Delegate . Lindau Nobel Laureates and Students Meeting Dedicated to Physics. 2012
- Computational Science Graduate Fellowship. Department of Energy. 2010
- George Michael Memorial High Performance Computing Fellowship. ACM/IEEE. 2010
- Gordon Bell Finalist. ACM. 2010
- Graduate Research Fellowship. National Science Foundation. 2009
- BME 307: Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems (AC or GE, BB)
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 590L: Special Topics with Lab
- CEE 307: Transport Phenomena in Biological Systems (AC or GE, BB)
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
In the News
- Duke University Models How and Where Blood flow Impacts Health (Nov 1, 2017)
- Plumbing Virtual Vessels (Sep 21, 2017)
- Supercomputer copies whole-body blood flow (Mar 17, 2016 | BBC News )
- New Collaborative Seed Grant Program Gives Eight Awards (Mar 16, 2016)
- NIH Features Randles Research on Fighting Cancer With Supercomputers (Nov 19, 2015)
- Experts put health issues firmly in the spotlight (Sep 14, 2015 | China Daily )
- Randles Named Finalist for Supercomputing’s Top Honor (Aug 31, 2015)
- Amanda Randles: Computing Complex Biological Systems (Jun 5, 2015 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Randles, A; Frakes, DH; Leopold, JA, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Additive Manufacturing to Diagnose and Treat Cardiovascular Disease., Trends in Biotechnology, vol 35 no. 11 (2017), pp. 1049-1061 [10.1016/j.tibtech.2017.08.008] [abs].
- Gounley, J; Vardhan, M; Randles, A, A computational framework to assess the influence of changes in vascular geometry on blood flow, PASC 2017 - Proceedings of the Platform for Advanced Scientific Computing Conference (2017) [10.1145/3093172.3093227] [abs].
- Dabagh, M; Jalali, P; Butler, PJ; Randles, A; Tarbell, JM, Mechanotransmission in endothelial cells subjected to oscillatory and multi-directional shear flow., Journal of the Royal Society Interface, vol 14 no. 130 (2017) [10.1098/rsif.2017.0185] [abs].
- Laurence, TA; Ly, S; Fong, E; Shusteff, M; Randles, A; Gounley, J; Draeger, E, Using stroboscopic flow imaging to validate large-scale computational fluid dynamics simulations, Proceedings of SPIE, vol 10076 (2017) [10.1117/12.2253319] [abs].
- Gounley, J; Draeger, EW; Randles, A, Numerical simulation of a compound capsule in a constricted microchannel., Procedia Computer Science, vol 108 (2017), pp. 175-184 [10.1016/j.procs.2017.05.209] [abs].