Transfer Credits

Credit Earned Prior to Matriculation:
Freshmen and transfer students who earn credit at other colleges before enrolling at Duke may present transcripts to the Engineering Dean's Office for evaluation (in consultation with the Directors of Undergraduate Study for the appropriate course) for credit or placement.

You can receive Duke credit only if the courses:

  • a) were taken on the college campus
  • b) were taken in competition with degree candidates of that college
  • c) were taught by a regular member of the college faculty
  • d) were part of the regular curriculum of the college
  • e) were taken after commencement of the student's junior year of high school
  • f) were not taken on a study abroad program completed prior to matriculation at Duke
  • g) yielded a grade of B- or better
  • h) were not pre-calculus or English composition courses
  • i) were not used to meet high school diploma requirements

All 9 of these criteria must be met.  In order to verify these criteria, you must take the following steps:
1)  arrange to have an official transcript of the college course sent directly to the Pratt School of Engineering (see below for address);
2)  provide the registrar's office with a course description or syllabus for each course taken;
3)  send a confirmation form to the college of record, which will confirm that the first four bulleted criteria above have been met;
4)  send a confirmation form to your high school, which will confirm that the last two bulleted criteria have been met.

All paperwork should be sent to Dean Connie Simmons at, The Pratt School of Engineering, 305 Teer Engineering Library, Box 90271, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708-0271.  Upon receipt of this information, Dean Simmons will confirm the remaining bulleted criteria above, consult with the relevant directors of undergraduate studies and then if appropriate, will award pre-matriculation credit comparable to the credit awarded for a score of 4 or 5 on an AP Exam. 

Courses Taken Elsewhere by Continuing Students
With prior approval from the Director of Undergraduate Studies in the appropriate department, the adviser, and the Associate Dean, an engineering student may receive transfer credit for up to four semester courses taken at other institutions either during the summer vacation, or while on an approved leave of absence from Duke. Transfer credit may not be awarded for courses taken while a student is ineligible to continue at Duke University (such as Academic Dismissal). Students may obtain copies of a Transfer Credit Approval Form at the Dean's Office [download form here]. The student then carries the form to the Director of Undergraduate Studies of the department most closely related to the course desired. The DUS assigns a Duke equivalent or elective credit on the basis of a review of catalog descriptions or course syllabi. Upon completion of the course with a grade of C- or better, the student must request that a transcript be forwarded to the Pratt School of Engineering where it is matched with the approval form and credit is added to the student's record. Grades for courses taken elsewhere are not noted on the Duke transcript, nor are such grades factored into the student's GPA.

Last updated: June 23, 2010