You are here
Master's Degree Programs
Studying for a master's degree in engineering at Duke prepares you for leadership in industry or in academia. You will be part of highly regarded programs that are ranked among the very best.
- #1 in U.S. computer engineering research productivity (Academic Analytics)
- #3 in the world in biomedical engineering (Shanghai Ranking)
- #6 in the U.S./#11 in the world in environmental science & engineering (Shanghai Ranking)
- #8 in U.S. electrical engineering faculty research productivity (Academic Analytics)
- Top 15 in U.S. mechanical engineering research productivity (Academic Analytics)
Our master's programs each offer a unique mix of interdisciplinary opportunities. Our departments offer flexible curriculums and study concentrations, allowing you to tailor your degree to your interests and your goals.
Find the Duke master's degree that fits your needs:
- Our Master of Science (MS) is an advanced engineering degree with a thesis, project or coursework-only option – solid preparation for industry or a PhD program
- The Master of Engineering (MEng) is an industry-focused engineering degree that includes business coursework and an internship opportunity – excellent preparation for a career
- The Master of Engineering Management (MEM) is a tech-savvy alternative to the MBA, offered with residential and distance options
- In our 4+1: BSE+Master's Degree program, you complete an undergraduate and a master's degree in just five years
Most of our master's students go onto careers in industry, where they work for leading firms or build their own startups. Many of our master's graduates enter elite PhD programs.
Benefits for All Master's Students
- Dedicated career services
- Flexible curriculum for an industry- or research-oriented career
- Internship resources with startups and industry partners
- Membership in our supportive school and departmental graduate student associations
Civil and Environmental Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Master of Science (MS)
- Master of Engineering (MEng) in Mechanical Engineering, including concentrations in:
- Master of Engineering (MEng) in Materials Science and Engineering
- Master of Engineering (MEng) in Computational Mechanics and Scientific Computing
- 4+1: BSE+Master's Degree
- THRUST – an International MEng in Mechanical Engineering-Turbomachinery Aeromechanics
Master of Engineering Management (MEM)
The Duke Master of Engineering Management (MEM) is a tech-savvy alternative to the MBA. Comprising a core management curriculum and variety of electives, it is interdisciplinary and flexible, with a focus on application, global awareness, and the student experience. Offered in both campus and distance programs.