Housing & Dining
Duke graduate students generally look for housing off campus in an apartment or home. Looking for a place to live in a new city can feel daunting. Here are some helpful tips:
- If you want to avoid driving to and parking on campus, you should try to look for a place either within a couple miles of where you will be taking your classes, or find a place within walking distance to a Duke Bus stop or the free Bull City Connector. Both buses generally stop at least 4x an hour during school hours.
- You can look for rooms and properties to rent on Duke's community housing site. There are many affordable options in the $500 - $1500 range.
- Try to talk to someone on campus about the area you are going to rent in before you sign a lease. To find someone to talk to, get in touch with the Administrative Assistant for the Department you will be associated with. Or, ask a question to our Pratt Facebook community.
- Sometimes space on campus is available for graduate students. If you are interested, you can get more information here.
Graduate applicants with housing questions can contact a departmental administrative assistant.
Dining At Duke
There are over 30 great places to dine on Duke's campus. The closest eateries to the engineering buildings are:
- Twinnie's Irish Pub which offers great coffee, hot breakfast and pastries and made to order sandwiches.
- Blue Express which offers hot and cold meals including grilled sandwiches, pizza, salads and hearty entrees. Blue Express also has microwaves available if you bring your lunch to school.
Vegetarians and Vegans
Duke offers vegetarian and vegan options at several of its on-campus venues. One nearby dining choice with some great healthy vegetarian and vegan meals is the environmentally friendly Refectory Cafe, which is near the engineering buildings in the Divinity School.
Plans and Points
All Duke eateries take Food Plans and Points with your ID card. Most also take cash or credit cards.
There are also some delivery and non-delivery Durham restaurants that take Duke points as payment for late study sessions.