You are here
Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Tomasz Hueckel received his master's degree in civil engineering from the University of Technology in Gdansk, Poland, in 1968, his Ph.D. in applied mechanics from the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, in 1974, and the D.Sc. in physical sciences from the University of Grenoble, France, in 1985. He started his research career at the Polish Academy of Sciences in Warsaw, then taught at the University of Rome and the University of Technology in Milan before joining ISMES, a research institute in Bergamo, Italy, where he was responsible for research on geomechanical aspects of nuclear waste disposal in clays, a subject in which he continues to be strongly involved. He came to Duke in 1987.
Dr. Hueckel's research interest is in theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, as well as in theory of plasticity. His current projects deal with thermo-plasticity and chemo-plasticity of clays, and in general in mechanics of materials composed of chemically reacting solids and liquids. He is interested in fundamental aspects of soil drying and cracking, and processes of soil aging and healing. The above subjects involve mathematical modeling and model driven laboratory experiments. He also is interested in basic aspects of theory of plasticity, such as stability and localization. His research is applied to hydraulic geo-barriers affected either by chemically hazardous liquids or nuclear waste heat, to prediction of petroleum production induced compaction and subsidence, as well as desiccation damage.
Dr. Hueckel is a co-founder and co-Editor-in Chief (2015) of Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, an Elsevier journal. He has published also in International Journal of Solids and Structures, International Journal of Engineering Science, Pure and Applied Geophysics, Surveys in Geophysics, Engineering Geology, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Engineering, International Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Computers and Geotechnics, International Journal of Soils and Foundations, Journal de Mecanique, Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Meccanica, Ingenieur- Archiv, and the ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering. He has also contributed to numerous books on the state of the art. Dr. Hueckel is heavily involved in international research cooperation, collaborating and co-authoring with Belgian, Italian, French, Polish, Spanish and Swiss researchers. He is or was a member of the editorial board of the Journal of Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, the Archive of Applied Mechanics and of the International Journal of Mechanics of Cohesive and Frictional Materials, ASCE Journals of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering and ASCE International Journal of Geomechanics, Italian Geotechnical Journal and Studia Geotechnica et Mechanica (Polish).
Appointments and Affiliations
- Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Professor in Department of Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- Faculty Network Member of The Energy Initiative
- Office Location: 164 Hudson Eng Ctr, Duke University, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5205
- Email Address: email@example.com
- D.Sc. Grenoble Institute of Technology (France), 1985
- Ph.D. Polish Academy of Sciences, 1974
mechanics of materials, theoretical soil mechanics, rock mechanics, and environmental geomechanics, theory of plasticity
- CEE 302L: Introduction to Soil Mechanics
- CEE 520: Continuum Mechanics
- CEE 621: Plasticity
- CEE 690: Advanced Topics in Civil and Environmental Engineering
- EGR 201L: Mechanics of Solids
- EGR 391: Projects in Engineering
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- NEUROSCI 493: Research Independent Study 1
- NEUROSCI 494: Research Independent Study 2
In the News
- Cassiani, G; Brovelli, A; Hueckel, T, A strain-rate-dependent modified Cam-Clay model for the simulation of soil/rock compaction, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 11 (2017), pp. 42-51 [10.1016/j.gete.2017.07.001] [abs].
- , Publisher’s note, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 11 (2017), pp. 52-52 [10.1016/j.gete.2017.06.004] [abs].
- Laloui, L; Hueckel, T, Citations of papers in Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment are going up - Editorial, Geomechanics for Energy and the Environment, vol 11 (2017), pp. ii-ii [10.1016/S2352-3808(17)30080-1] [abs].
- Hueckel, T; Ciantia, M; Mielniczuk, B; El Youssouffi, MS; Hu, LB, Modeling physico-chemical degradation of mechanical properties to assess resilience of geomaterials, Springer Series in Geomechanics and Geoengineering no. 191289 (2017), pp. 65-79 [10.1007/978-3-319-56397-8_9] [abs].
- Hueckel, T; Nova, R, HYSTERESIS BEHAVIOUR OF SOILS AND ROCKS., Transactions of the International Conference on Structural Mechanics in Reactor Technology, vol K(a). (2017) [abs].