You are here
Paul Ruffin Scarborough Associate Professor of EngineeringDr. You's research interest focus on computational systems biology & synthetic biology, including mathematical modeling of cellular networks; mechanisms of information processing by gene networks; design, modeling and construction of robust gene networks for applications in engineering and medicine.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Paul Ruffin Scarborough Associate Professor of Engineering
- Associate Professor of Biomedical Engineering
- Associate Professor in Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
- Office Location: 2355 CIEMAS, 101 Science Drive, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-8408
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin at Madison, 2002
- M.S. University of Science and Technology of China (China), 1997
- B.S.E. Chengdu University of Science and Technology (China), 1994
Dr. You's research interest focus on computational systems biology & synthetic biology, including mathematical modeling of cellular networks; mechanisms of information processing by gene networks; design, modeling and construction of robust gene networks for applications in engineering and medicine.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Faculty Early Career Development (CAREER) Program. National Science Foundation. 2010
- Fellowships for Science and Engineering. David and Lucile Packard Foundation. 2006
- BME 260L: Modeling Cellular and Molecular Systems
- BME 394: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 493: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 494: Projects in Biomedical Engineering (GE)
- BME 574: Modeling and Engineering Gene Circuits (GE, MC)
- BME 590: Special Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- BME 791: Graduate Independent Study
- CBB 574: Modeling and Engineering Gene Circuits (GE, MC)
- COMPSCI 391: Independent Study
- COMPSCI 394: Research Independent Study
- EGR 393: Research Projects in Engineering
- ISS 391: Bass Connections in Information Science and Culture: Independent Study Project
- MGM 293: Research Independent Study I
- MGM 593: Research Independent Study
- PHARM 394: Research Independent Study
In the News
- New Tool Tells Bioengineers When to Build Microbial Teams (Feb 21, 2018 | Pratt School of Engineering )
- Where Are All the Germs? Students Explore Duke's Microbiome (Dec 7, 2017 | Center for Genomic and Computational Biology )
- Lingchong You: Tales of the genetically altered, superhero bacteria swarmbot (May 2, 2016 | WFDD-Winston-Salem’s “SciWorks Radio” )
- Time Cues Help Keep Humans Looking Human (Apr 25, 2016)
- Antibiotics Don't Promote Swapping of Resistance Genes (Apr 11, 2016)
- Biologists turn bacteria into 'swarmbots' (Mar 2, 2016 | Gizmodo )
- Bioengineers Design 'Swarmbot' Cells That Die If They Leave the Confines of Their Capsule (Feb 29, 2016)
- Why Do Dividing Cells End Up the Same Size? (Jun 4, 2015)
- Lingchong You comments: Paper test can detect Ebola strains (Oct 27, 2014 | BBC News )
- Dispersal Patterns Key to Invasive Species' Success (Jan 21, 2014)
- Chinese-Americans protest Kimmel skit in front of ABC station in downtown Raleigh (Nov 11, 2013 | The News & Observer )
- Growing Bacteria Keep Time, Know Their Place (Oct 8, 2013)
- Dong, P; Zhang, C; Parker, B-T; You, L; Mathey-Prevot, B, Cyclin D/CDK4/6 activity controls G1 length in mammalian cells., PloS one, vol 13 no. 1 (2018) [10.1371/journal.pone.0185637] [abs].
- Lopatkin, AJ; Meredith, HR; Srimani, JK; Pfeiffer, C; Durrett, R; You, L, Persistence and reversal of plasmid-mediated antibiotic resistance., Nature Communications, vol 8 no. 1 (2017) [10.1038/s41467-017-01532-1] [abs].
- Cao, Y; Feng, Y; Ryser, MD; Zhu, K; Herschlag, G; Cao, C; Marusak, K; Zauscher, S; You, L, Programmable assembly of pressure sensors using pattern-forming bacteria., Nature Biotechnology, vol 35 no. 11 (2017), pp. 1087-1093 [10.1038/nbt.3978] [abs].
- Srimani, JK; Huang, S; Lopatkin, AJ; You, L, Drug detoxification dynamics explain the postantibiotic effect., Molecular systems biology, vol 13 no. 10 (2017) [10.15252/msb.20177723] [abs].
- Wu, F; You, L, Hacking DNA copy number for circuit engineering., Nature Genetics, vol 49 no. 8 (2017), pp. 1164-1165 [10.1038/ng.3923] [abs].