You are here
David J. Brady
Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Photonics in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of EngineeringDavid Brady leads the Duke Imaging and Spectroscopy Program (DISP) and the Camputer Lab at Duke Kunshan University. These laboratories focus on computational imaging systems, with particular emphasis on gigapixel-scale video for security, consumer, transportation and broadcast applications.
Appointments and Affiliations
- Michael J. Fitzpatrick Professor of Photonics in the Edmund T. Pratt, Jr. School of Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Duke Kunshan University
- Bass Fellow
- Office Location: 2537 CIEMAS, Box 90291, Durham, NC 27708
- Office Phone: (919) 660-5394
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D. California Institute of Technology, 1990
- M.S. California Institute of Technology, 1986
- B.A. Macalester College, 1984
DISP uses joint design of physical sampling and digital processing strategies to develop high performance sensor systems. DISP builds instruments for visible, infrared, ultraviolet, x-ray, millimeter wave, terahertz, acoustic and ion imaging and spectroscopy. DISP has made particular contributions to the theory and practice of compressive measurement systems and to spectral imaging, holography and diffraction tomography, optical projection tomography and high pixel count cameras.
Awards, Honors, and Distinctions
- Dennis Gabor Award. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2013
- Fellows. Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2009
- Fellow. International Society for Optics and Photonics. 2007
- Fellows. Optical Society of America. 2004
- Fellowships for Science and Engineering. David and Lucile Packard Foundation. 1990
- COMPSCI 281K: Computational Photography
- ECE 675: Optical Imaging and Spectroscopy
- PHYSICS 131K: Frontiers of 21st Century Physics
In the News
- New Duke Kunshan Lab to Develop the Next Generation of Gigapixel Cameras (Jan 26, 2017)
- Duke Days in China Features Research Presentations by Faculty (Oct 21, 2015)
- Engineers Unlock Remarkable 3D Vision from Ordinary Digital Camera Technology (Sep 22, 2015)
- Engineers unlock remarkable 3-D vision from ordinary digital camera technology (Sep 18, 2015 | Science Daily )
- Gigapixel camera could help clinicians catch signs of melanoma earlier (Oct 29, 2014)
- Class of 2014! Tag Yourself (May 11, 2014)
- Duke technology could yield quicker airport security checks (Nov 7, 2013 | WUNC Radio )
- Duke University unveils airport safety research (Nov 7, 2013 | News 14 )
- Duke Camera Captures America's Cup Races in Panoramic Photos (Oct 8, 2013)
- Zhang, H; Cao, L; Zhang, H; Zhang, W; Jin, G; Brady, DJ, Efficient block-wise algorithm for compressive holography, Optics express, vol 25 no. 21 (2017), pp. 24991-24991 [10.1364/OE.25.024991] [abs].
- Chen, L-S; Yue, T; Cao, X; Ma, Z; Brady, DJ, High-resolution spectral video acquisition, Frontiers of Information Technology and Electronic Engineering, vol 18 no. 9 (2017), pp. 1250-1260 [10.1631/FITEE.1700098] [abs].
- Pang, W; Brady, DJ, Galilean monocentric multiscale optical systems, Optics express, vol 25 no. 17 (2017), pp. 20332-20332 [10.1364/OE.25.020332] [abs].
- Zhao, Y; Yue, T; Chen, L; Wang, H; Ma, Z; Brady, DJ; Cao, X, Heterogeneous camera array for multispectral light field imaging, Optics express, vol 25 no. 13 (2017), pp. 14008-14022 [10.1364/OE.25.014009] [abs].
- Yuan, X; Fang, L; Dai, Q; Brady, DJ; Liu, Y, Multiscale gigapixel video: A cross resolution image matching and warping approach, 2017 IEEE International Conference on Computational Photography, ICCP 2017 - Proceedings (2017) [10.1109/ICCPHOT.2017.7951481] [abs].